Former soldier sued in death of Delaware woman
DOVER, Del. (AP) - July 26, 2013 (WPVI) -- The husband of a Wilmington woman killed after taking her dog for a walk is suing the former Fort Drum, N.Y., soldier charged in her death.
The lawsuit filed Thursday accuses 25-year-old Dwight L. Smith Jr. of reckless and wanton conduct in striking 65-year-old Marsha Lee with an SUV in December 2011. Authorities have said that after hitting Lee with the vehicle, Smith threw her inside, raped her and beat her to death.
Smith once wrote that he might have become "addicted to killing people" while serving in Iraq and Afghanistan. His family has suggested that he has post-traumatic stress disorder.
Smith was examined over five days last month at the Delaware Psychiatric Center, but results of the psychological testing are sealed. He has not yet been returned to prison.
delaware news, wilmington, local/state
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Milder this afternoon, snow possible Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- Search for missing jet expands toward Indian Ocean
- Truck overturns on Paoli Pike; 1 injury
- Drunk driving suspected in Center City crash
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Photos: Pictures of suspects in Logan murder
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad