Former soldier sued in death of Delaware woman
DOVER, Del. (AP) - July 26, 2013 (WPVI) -- The husband of a Wilmington woman killed after taking her dog for a walk is suing the former Fort Drum, N.Y., soldier charged in her death.
The lawsuit filed Thursday accuses 25-year-old Dwight L. Smith Jr. of reckless and wanton conduct in striking 65-year-old Marsha Lee with an SUV in December 2011. Authorities have said that after hitting Lee with the vehicle, Smith threw her inside, raped her and beat her to death.
Smith once wrote that he might have become "addicted to killing people" while serving in Iraq and Afghanistan. His family has suggested that he has post-traumatic stress disorder.
Smith was examined over five days last month at the Delaware Psychiatric Center, but results of the psychological testing are sealed. He has not yet been returned to prison.
delaware news, wilmington, local/state
- 7-alarm fire destroys homes in Sea Isle City 40 min ago
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Pedestrian struck by train in Plymouth Meeting 32 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- 76ers owner Harris calls 19-win season 'success'
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- Bride gets help after banquet closes
- Miley Cyrus still hospitalized, postpones Philly show
- 7-alarm fire destroys homes in Sea Isle City
40 min ago