Vigil held for slain South Philadelphia vendor
SOUTH PHILADELPHIA - July 26, 2013 (WPVI) -- Family, friends and members of the community gathered to hold a vigil for a vendor slain outside his South Philadelphia home.
A solemn ceremony was held to commemorate the death 100 days ago of 68-year-old Don Ly.
Ly was savagely murdered outside his home in April as he loaded up his fruit cart.
Ly, a refugee from Vietnam, was a fixture in the heart of the University of Pennsylvania's campus where he sold produce for years.
His wife, four children and multiple grandchildren all miss him terribly.
They pray that police will soon catch the person responsible and find out what the motive was and get justice.
"Hopefully somebody comes forward to confess and turn themselves in," said Hoanhl Ly, victim's son.
Police released surveillance video of the suspect hoping for leads.
Those who knew him say Ly had no known enemies. He was not robbed that morning and nothing had been stolen from him.
His long time neighbors attended the ceremony and they are just as baffled as his family and the police.
"He was such a wonderful man that nobody could understand how anybody could do something like that," said Tina Dolpis.
Come forward and confess. How far can you run and how long can you hide? He does not deserve it," said Hoanhl.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Philadelphia Police at 215-686-TIPS (8477), text a tip to PPDTIP (773847) or through PhillyPolice.com.
stabbing, south philadelphia, philadelphia, local/state
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Brief Surge of Mild Air 41 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal in Brewerytown possibly a bobcat 10 min ago
- Police investigate 2 shootings at illegal Trenton bar 17 min ago
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Cabbie allegedly locks doors in credit card dispute 14 min ago
- Wynnewood community mourns college student's death 21 min ago
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run 5 min ago
- Man arrested after Phila. police crash, chase ID'd
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley 5 min ago
- Accused wedding crasher thief pleads guilty 16 min ago
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane mystery
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos