Video released, reward offered in Camden drive-thru murder
CAMDEN, N.J. - July 27, 2013 (WPVI) -- Video of a cold blooded murder at a Camden drive-thru was released and a reward offered in the hopes of catching a man's killer.
"He played football, he played wrestling, track, he was a very good artist, he enjoyed spending time with his family," said Mary Cushion.
Cushion asked for her face not to be shown while talking about her son, Alvin, who was known as Tyree.
She says just before 10:00 p.m. on Tuesday April 2nd, Tyree and his uncle went to get something to eat on the 2400 block of Mount Ephraim Avenue in Camden.
That's when the unthinkable happens, and it's caught on video.
"They were at Popeye's ordering food and as they were in the drive thru this car-van pulled up and the guy got out of the van, which is on the video, and he shoots into the car," said Cushion.
24-year-old Tyree and his uncle were both shot. His uncle survived, Tyree did not.
"No mother or father wants to bury their child," said Cushion.
A few weeks before Tyree's murder, another one of his uncles was killed, prompting his mother to express her concern to him.
"He said 'Mom don't worry, you won't bury me, I will bury you,' and two weeks later I was burying my son," said Cushion.
Tyree's family believes the shooting stemmed from a fight that happened six month earlier.
Investigators say the video leads them to believe that Tyree was the intended target.
"It's cold blooded, there's no hesitation and it's clear the victim was targeted," said Jason Laughlin, Camden County Prosecutor's Office.
The video isn't enough, investigators need someone to come forward to identify the suspect.
"Being able to catch something on video is a huge help but it doesn't solve the case. You still need to be able to put a name to that face," said Laughlin.
The Citizens Crime Commission is administering a $1,000 reward for information that leads to the arrest and conviction of the person responsible.
Anyone with information is asked to call 215-546-TIPS (8477). All calls will remain anonymous.
new jersey news, camden county news, camden, homicide, shooting, crimefighters, local/state, rick williams
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- Freeze Warning overnight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Delco man missing after leaving medical facility
- Puppy poisoned in Mantua, New Jersey
- Lehigh University suspends frat in vandalism case
- All-clear given after Liberty H.S. lockdown
- Ferry sinks off South Korea; hundreds still missing
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Wawa celebrates 50th birthday with big gifts
- Photos: Wawa celebrates 50 years
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man