Officer fires multiple times at armed suspect in West Philadelphia
WEST PHILADELPHIA - July 28, 2013 (WPVI) -- An investigation is under way into a police involved shooting in West Philadelphia.
At approximately 2:18 a.m. Sunday police were called to the 5500 block of Lansdowne Avenue.
Upon arrival, two officers observed a 22-year-old male who they say was acting suspicious in the vestibule of an apartment.
Both officers asked the male to show them his hands and to raise his t-shirt up. The male shook his shirt, but did not raise it.
Police say as the officers began to exit their vehicle, the male fled westbound in the 5600 block of Lansdowne Avenue, clutching his waistband.
One of the officers went in foot pursuit and noticed the male turning in his direction holding a revolver in his hand.
Police say that is when the officer drew his weapon and discharged a set of rounds at the suspect as he continued to flee.
Officials say the male again, while holding the weapon in his hand, turned towards the officer.
The officer fired another set of rounds at the suspect.
As the male turned the corner north, onto 57th Street, the officer grabbed onto him.
The suspect began to turn towards the officer, while still holding the weapon in his hand, and police say this forced the officer to fire another set of rounds, striking the male multiple times.
The suspect fell to the ground and dropped his loaded gun which was recovered at the scene.
He was taken into custody and transported to the Hospital of the Unviersity of Pennsylvania.
While at the hospital it was discovered that the suspect had a second loaded firearm in his waistband.
The officer involved in this incident sustained an abrasion to his left hand.
There were no other injuries as a result of this discharge incident.
The officer involved will be placed on administrative duty.
Days ago, the Department of Justice announced it was reviewing police shootings in Philadelphia.
Commissioner Charles Ramsey asked the DOJ to conduct the review.
philadelphia, west philadelphia, police, shooting, local/state
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash 18 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Shooting leads to police standoff in Logan 40 min ago
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death 56 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Volunteer brutally assaulted outside Lehigh Co. church
- Delco police standoff ends, suspect dead
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Tests confirm toxic chemicals inside Phila. fire station
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to...
56 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
18 min ago