Same sex couple in Collegeville weds despite Pa. law
COLLEGEVILLE - July 28, 2013 (WPVI) -- A same sex couple in Collegeville took the chance to exchange wedding vows after obtaining a marriage license in Montgomery County despite same-sex marriage being illegal in Pennsylvania.
Robert Poley of Collegeville says exchanging wedding vows with his partner of more than a decade is a big step in the right direction.
"I love him, I've loved him for 15 years, it's about time this happened," he said.
Poley and Nick Vlaisavlijevic received their license to wed on Wednesday in Montgomery County.
Officials believe the move is legal within state constitutional rights, even though same sex marriage is still against the law in Pennsylvania.
"We have to make a statement and unless we all take a courageous step to do something, it's not going to change," said
"I feel it's a tipping point for all couples in love to be able to be legally recognized as wedded spouses," said Rev. Pamela Brehm.
Poley's father, Mike, feels that marriage is an equal right for all.
"Thomas Jefferson said all men are created equal and it took 250 years to get here. There's still a ways to go," he said.
Poley and Vlaisavlijevic's union could be challenged in court but the happy couple says right now they are proud to be making such major progress.
"We work very hard, we pay our taxes like everyone else, and we want the same benefits everyone gets as we get older," said Poley.
Poley and Vlaisavlijevic say they felt they needed to seize the opportunity while Montgomery County gave them the chance to do so.
pennsylvania news, local/state
- Man critically injured in Willingboro hit, run 13 min ago
- Breezy And Mild! 1 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance deliberate 8 min ago
- Elderly woman crashes into Toms River law ofc.
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly
- Fire forces 11 people from their homes
- Driver crashes SUV into pole in East Falls, DUI suspected
- 3 people injured in Roosevelt Boulevard crash
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Authorities: Chris Brown arrested on warrant
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance...
8 min ago
- Breezy And Mild!
1 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos