Car takes deadly plunge into Schuylkill River near Boathouse Row
FAIRMOUNT PARK - July 29, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police and rescue crews converged on the banks of the Schuylkill River late Sunday night, after a car careened out of control and ended up in the water.
At 10:54 p.m. a call came in from a passerby that a car had driven into the river from Kelly Drive near Boathouse Row.
Investigators believe the driver swerved to avoid a car that crossed over from the northbound lanes of traffic.
Police say a male passenger was able to swim to safety but the search was on for the female driver.
Marine units were called out to the scene, and police, the fire department, and medics helped in the search for the driver in the water, which was rougher that usual due to the rainfall.
Philadelphia Police Lieutenant Scott Drissel explained, "It's obviously a dangerous situation for the divers, but they did an admirable job getting in there and putting their life on the line. And, unfortunately, we weren't able to get there in time."
It was around 12:45 a.m. Monday when, with the tow hooked up, crews hauled the car out of the river.
"When we got the vehicle out of the river we recovered another occupant out of the vehicle, who was unfortunately deceased," said Lieutenant Drissel.
Police have not yet released the driver's identity, but they say she was a 21-year-old woman from Darby, Delaware County.
philadelphia, fairmount park, accident, local/state
- Iranian teen had stolen passport on missing jet 31 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden 36 min ago
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Video: Cat attacks toddler, traps parents in room 22 min ago
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden
36 min ago
- Dad ditches son's stroller to catch baseball
22 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos