Car takes deadly plunge into Schuylkill River near Boathouse Row
FAIRMOUNT PARK - July 29, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police and rescue crews converged on the banks of the Schuylkill River late Sunday night, after a car careened out of control and ended up in the water.
At 10:54 p.m. a call came in from a passerby that a car had driven into the river from Kelly Drive near Boathouse Row.
Investigators believe the driver swerved to avoid a car that crossed over from the northbound lanes of traffic.
Police say a male passenger was able to swim to safety but the search was on for the female driver.
Marine units were called out to the scene, and police, the fire department, and medics helped in the search for the driver in the water, which was rougher that usual due to the rainfall.
Philadelphia Police Lieutenant Scott Drissel explained, "It's obviously a dangerous situation for the divers, but they did an admirable job getting in there and putting their life on the line. And, unfortunately, we weren't able to get there in time."
It was around 12:45 a.m. Monday when, with the tow hooked up, crews hauled the car out of the river.
"When we got the vehicle out of the river we recovered another occupant out of the vehicle, who was unfortunately deceased," said Lieutenant Drissel.
Police have not yet released the driver's identity, but they say she was a 21-year-old woman from Darby, Delaware County.
philadelphia, fairmount park, accident, local/state
- Detectives serve warrants at Chester police station
- Mostly sunny, very windy today 25 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man critical after police-involved shooting 6 min ago
- Fire damages corner produce store in North Philly 20 min ago
- 3 shot during funeral at Trenton church
- Serial burglar strikes South Phila. businesses
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Middle Township crash
- 6abc viewer helps police nab $18K jewelry suspect
- Arrest warrant issued in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Police release surveillance of Target heist
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- What would you ask Mayor Nutter?
- Mostly sunny, very windy today
25 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos