Wing-eating champ El Wingador faces NJ prison term
WOODBURY, N.J. - July 29, 2013 (WPVI) -- A five-time Buffalo wing-eating champion known as El Wingador has pleaded guilty to a cocaine distribution charge in New Jersey.
Gloucester County prosecutors say William Simmons pleaded guilty Monday to possession with intent to distribute.
The 51-year-old Woodbury Heights resident faces a seven-year prison when he's sentenced in September.
Prosecutors say they won't object if he applies for an intensive supervision program that could shorten his sentence.
Several drug charges were filed against Simmons following a June 2012 traffic stop. Simmons admitted he was using "a little bit" of cocaine at the time.
El Wingador last won Philadelphia's Wing Bowl in 2005, when he gnawed through 162 chicken wings.
The Wing Bowl was started as a way for Philadelphia sports fans to blow off steam before the Super Bowl.
new jersey news, drugs, gloucester county news, local/state
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd 17 min ago
- Easter Sunshine Sunday 21 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Stabbing at Hamilton Mall in Mays Landing
- Woman's body found in Berks County
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- It's a boy - again for Jamie Apody! 9 min ago
- NJ woman: Dog and TV stolen on 1st date
- Prescription drug ring busted at Aria-Torresdale Hospital
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Captain of sunken S. Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- No cause yet in 7-alarm Sea Isle City fire
3 min ago