Wing-eating champ El Wingador faces NJ prison term
WOODBURY, N.J. - July 29, 2013 (WPVI) -- A five-time Buffalo wing-eating champion known as El Wingador has pleaded guilty to a cocaine distribution charge in New Jersey.
Gloucester County prosecutors say William Simmons pleaded guilty Monday to possession with intent to distribute.
The 51-year-old Woodbury Heights resident faces a seven-year prison when he's sentenced in September.
Prosecutors say they won't object if he applies for an intensive supervision program that could shorten his sentence.
Several drug charges were filed against Simmons following a June 2012 traffic stop. Simmons admitted he was using "a little bit" of cocaine at the time.
El Wingador last won Philadelphia's Wing Bowl in 2005, when he gnawed through 162 chicken wings.
The Wing Bowl was started as a way for Philadelphia sports fans to blow off steam before the Super Bowl.
new jersey news, drugs, gloucester county news, local/state
- Detectives serve warrants at Chester police station
- Mostly sunny, very windy today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man critical after police-involved shooting
- 3 shot during funeral at Trenton church
- Serial burglar strikes South Phila. businesses
- New 'object of interest' in missing jet hunt 26 min ago
- 6abc viewer helps police nab $18K jewelry suspect
- Police release surveillance of Target heist
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Video: Man swallows gold bars in India
- Video: Dying dog in Canada has bucket list
- What would you ask Mayor Nutter?
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos