Woman trapped for 18 hours after Lancaster Co. car crash
LANCASTER, Pa. - July 30, 2013 (WPVI) -- A south-central Pennsylvania man is being lauded as a hero for helping rescue a teenager trapped for 18 hours in her overturned sport utility vehicle.
Authorities in Lancaster County say 49-year-old Brad Shearer helped save the life of 18-year-old Brooke Spence, whose SUV flipped over late Saturday in West Hempfield Township.
Police say the injured Spence was trapped in the SUV in underbrush by a creek until Shearer noticed the vehicle while getting ready to grill on his deck Sunday evening. The Intelligencer Journal/Lancaster New Era reports that he saw something glinting in the underbrush and went to check it out.
He found Spence calm and conscious, and had his wife call 911. Spence had lost her cellphone in the accident and was unable to call for help.
She was in serious condition at a hospital Monday. Police say her parents had been away on vacation.
Information from: Intelligencer Journal/Lancaster New Era , http://lancasteronline.com
lancaster county news, pennsylvania news, accident, local/state
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge 49 min ago
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill 11 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman 44 min ago
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- ID theft warrant leads to pot bust in Hamilton Twp.
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Gun falls out of sock, kills thrift store worker
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip 37 min ago
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth 53 min ago
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
11 min ago