Woman claims $131 million Powerball ticket sold in South Philadelphia
SOUTH PHILADELPHIA - July 30, 2013 (WPVI) -- After more than a month of mystery, the person who bought the $131 million Powerball ticket in South Philadelphia has been revealed.
Patricia Chandler of Upper Darby claimed the prize on Tuesday.
Customers at Federal Beer at 1440 Federal Street in Point Breeze still couldn't believe the person who won the jackpot bought that ticket right here.
Chandler chose the cash option of $77,412,904.79, less 25 percent federal withholding. It's a nice chunk of change to change the life of the Delaware County woman, who is in her late 40s.
"This jackpot ranks as the 4th largest Powerball cash prize ever awarded by the Pennsylvania Lottery," said Lottery Executive Director Todd Rucci in a written statement.
"What do you do with it?" said neighbor Tanya Crew. "I'm just in shock."
Chandler, a mother, is - or possibly WAS - a life skills instructor for a South Philadelphia employment group.
Neighbors in her community say she's nice. She keeps to herself, and she's lived here for a few years.
Action News actually tracked down Chandler's family several days after she won the jackpot, but neither she nor relatives were ready to speak about the windfall.
The lottery says after Chandler claimed her multimillion dollar prize Tuesday, she asked for privacy. The ticket was from the Saturday, June 22nd drawing.
"Because the world we live in today, there's a lot going on. So I can understand her wanting to continue to be anonymous for awhile," said Crew.
The store will receive a $100,000 bonus for selling that winning ticket.
Chandler doesn't have her cash yet. The lottery says it will take 4 to 6 weeks.
By the way, Wednesday night's Powerball Jackpot has soared to an estimated $235 million.
The largest prize ever awarded to a single winning ticket in Pennsylvania was a $110.2 million Powerball jackpot cash prize from the May 8, 2004, drawing, which was claimed by a couple from Skillman, N.J.
philadelphia, lottery, local/state
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Turnpike officials: Road plowed, salted before pileup
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police 23 min ago
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures