Darby Township police officer facing kidnap, assault charges
DARBY TOWNSHIP, Pa. - July 30, 2013 (WPVI) -- A police officer in Delaware County is being accused of trying to force women to have sex with him in the back seat of his police cruiser.
Christopher Scott was arrested Tuesday morning and immediately fired from the Darby Township Police Department, where he was a part-timer.
He faces multiple charges, including kidnapping, false imprisonment, stalking and assault.
Delaware County District Attorney Jack Whelan says in the wee hours of Saturday and Sunday morning, Scott stopped two women while he was on duty.
Both women had been in local bars drinking.
Both say Scott drove them in his township patrol car to a secluded section of a park in Springfield Township and tried repeatedly to coerce them into sexual favors in exchange for him not filing any charges against them.
Both women say they refused.
"These two women reported during the course of this episode they were terrorized. They felt intimidated. They were crying the entire time, begging Officer Scott to take them home or to even arrest them, but to take them out of that secluded area of that dark park," said Whelan.
Initially neither woman called police to file complaints against Scott.
On the second night, the boyfriend of Victim 1 said he was walking around the park at 2:00 a.m. and spotted the same cop his girlfriend had described from the night before doing the same thing to another woman.
He immediately called police, who investigated and wound up filing charges against the 34-year-old Scott.
"This is a horrendous act and will be dealt with accordingly in the criminal justice system," said Whelan.
Scott's wife and 2 children arrived to pay his $5,000 cash bail Tuesday. They reside in Berwyn.
Scott's lawyer, John List, says the credibility of the alleged victims is in question.
"We really have to take a hard look at what these complainants are saying and try to evaluate that. We've got to sit down with our client, too, to find out what exactly happened on these two nights," said List.
Scott had been working with the Darby Township Police Department for about a year.
The D.A. said he suspects these were not Scott's first acts of misconduct. Whelan is asking any other alleged victims to contact his office right away.
pennsylvania news, police, delaware county news, kidnapping, local/state, vernon odom
- 7-alarm fire destroys homes in Sea Isle City
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend 21 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Family pets die in house blaze in Newark, Del. 11 min ago
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Pedestrian struck by train in Plymouth Meeting
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Miley Cyrus still hospitalized, postpones Philly show
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Is it time for smart watches?
- Video: Train nearly hits senator