Darby Township police officer facing kidnap, assault charges
DARBY TOWNSHIP, Pa. - July 30, 2013 (WPVI) -- A police officer in Delaware County is being accused of trying to force women to have sex with him in the back seat of his police cruiser.
Christopher Scott was arrested Tuesday morning and immediately fired from the Darby Township Police Department, where he was a part-timer.
He faces multiple charges, including kidnapping, false imprisonment, stalking and assault.
Delaware County District Attorney Jack Whelan says in the wee hours of Saturday and Sunday morning, Scott stopped two women while he was on duty.
Both women had been in local bars drinking.
Both say Scott drove them in his township patrol car to a secluded section of a park in Springfield Township and tried repeatedly to coerce them into sexual favors in exchange for him not filing any charges against them.
Both women say they refused.
"These two women reported during the course of this episode they were terrorized. They felt intimidated. They were crying the entire time, begging Officer Scott to take them home or to even arrest them, but to take them out of that secluded area of that dark park," said Whelan.
Initially neither woman called police to file complaints against Scott.
On the second night, the boyfriend of Victim 1 said he was walking around the park at 2:00 a.m. and spotted the same cop his girlfriend had described from the night before doing the same thing to another woman.
He immediately called police, who investigated and wound up filing charges against the 34-year-old Scott.
"This is a horrendous act and will be dealt with accordingly in the criminal justice system," said Whelan.
Scott's wife and 2 children arrived to pay his $5,000 cash bail Tuesday. They reside in Berwyn.
Scott's lawyer, John List, says the credibility of the alleged victims is in question.
"We really have to take a hard look at what these complainants are saying and try to evaluate that. We've got to sit down with our client, too, to find out what exactly happened on these two nights," said List.
Scott had been working with the Darby Township Police Department for about a year.
The D.A. said he suspects these were not Scott's first acts of misconduct. Whelan is asking any other alleged victims to contact his office right away.
pennsylvania news, police, delaware county news, kidnapping, local/state, vernon odom
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator
- AccuWeather: Tracking light snow tonight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car 36 min ago
- Police: Man strikes own brother in hit and run
- Berks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas
- 1 wounded in Lakewood drive-by shooting
- 2 men, sitting in SUV, shot in Chester
- 2 women injured in Overbrook fire
- Crimea votes on Ukraine secession
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by...
36 min ago