Fox that attacked Lakewood girl had rabies
LAKEWOOD, N.J. - July 30, 2013 (WPVI) -- Authorities say a fox that attacked a young southern New Jersey girl last weekend has tested positive for rabies.
Ocean County health officials tell the Asbury Park Press that the state Public Health Environmental and Agricultural Laboratory performed the tests on the fox and released them to county officials on Tuesday.
The four-year-old girl suffered scratches on her arm, leg and lip in Saturday's attack, which occurred at a home in Lakewood. She will receive a rabies-prevention treatment for 14 days and officials will closely monitor her condition.
The fox hid under a deck after attacking the girl and it later tried to attack police officers. An officer then shot the fox to death.
The child's name has not been released.
Information from: Asbury Park (N.J.) Press
new jersey news, animal attacks, local/state
- Photos: AccuWeather Maps: Snow arrives tonight 17 min ago
- Snow will turn the ground white again! 18 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator
- Crimeans overwhelmingly vote for secession
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash
- Police: Man strikes own brother in hit and run
- Delaware man suspected in 14 different thefts 53 min ago
- Berks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas
- 1 wounded in Lakewood drive-by shooting
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids
- Snow will turn the ground white again!
18 min ago