Fox that attacked Lakewood girl had rabies
LAKEWOOD, N.J. - July 30, 2013 (WPVI) -- Authorities say a fox that attacked a young southern New Jersey girl last weekend has tested positive for rabies.
Ocean County health officials tell the Asbury Park Press that the state Public Health Environmental and Agricultural Laboratory performed the tests on the fox and released them to county officials on Tuesday.
The four-year-old girl suffered scratches on her arm, leg and lip in Saturday's attack, which occurred at a home in Lakewood. She will receive a rabies-prevention treatment for 14 days and officials will closely monitor her condition.
The fox hid under a deck after attacking the girl and it later tried to attack police officers. An officer then shot the fox to death.
The child's name has not been released.
Information from: Asbury Park (N.J.) Press
new jersey news, animal attacks, local/state
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge 2 min ago
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- ID theft warrant leads to pot bust in Hamilton Twp. 42 min ago
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Gun falls out of sock, kills thrift store worker
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth 6 min ago
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim
37 min ago