Victim shot in head at Northern Liberties apartment
NORTHERN LIBERTIES - July 31, 2013 (WPVI) -- A victim is in critical condition after being shot in the head after answering the door in Northern Liberties.
The shooting happened just before 8:00 p.m. Tuesday in the 100 block of Girard Avenue.
Police say the 26-year-old victim, described as a transgender woman, was in a third floor apartment and went downstairs to answer the door.
Sources say, the victim was expecting someone. However, police say the victim did not recognize the man at the door.
According to police, that suspect forced his way up the stairs and into the victim's third floor apartment.
He hit the victim once in the head with a gun, then shot the victim in the head at least once.
Neighbors said they did not hear any commotion, but police described a gruesome scene, saying there was blood throughout the victim's apartment.
Police have no motive so far for the crime, but they are hoping area surveillance cameras can help them put the pieces together.
The identity of the victim has not been released.
While the victim was listed in critical condition at Hahnemann University Hospital, the victim is expected to survive.
philadelphia, shooting, northern liberties, local/state
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Record Weekend Warmth
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- 1 dead after car plunges into lake in Vineland
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos