Teen among 3 injured in drive-by shooting in North Philadelphia
NORTH PHILADELPHIA - July 31, 2013 (WPVI) -- Two men and a teenager were injured in a drive-by shooting in North Philadelphia early Wednesday morning.
Neighbors heard the gunfire just before 2:00 a.m. on the 2800 block of North Lee Street. Police say a group of people, including a 13-year-old, were outside near Cambria Street when a green van with tinted windows pulled up and at least one person inside opened fire.
One neighbor told Action News, "I heard over a half dozen shots, that's all I heard."
Police believe at least nine shots were fired before the vehicle sped off.
Philadelphia Police Chief Inspector Scott Small tells Action News, "Based on ballistic evidence at the scene, we know that at least nine shots were fired from a semiautomatic handgun. We know that two separate caliber weapons were used because we found fired cartridge casings from two separate caliber weapons on the highway."
Two of the victims, ages 19 and 25, were both shot in the leg. A 13-year-old boy was also injured, having sustained a gunshot wound to the hip. All three were taken to Temple University Hospital for treatment.
Investigators cordoned off the street while they combed the area and spoke to neighbors and witnesses.
Police say there are several surveillance cameras in the area, and they hope to pull footage that will help in this investigation.
The motive remains under investigation.
shooting, north philadelphia, philadelphia, local/state
- Man critically injured in Willingboro hit, run 41 min ago
- Tracking St. Patty's Day Snow
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for jet widens
- Elderly woman crashes into Toms River law ofc.
- Bucks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas
- Delaware Co. mother seeks help finding son's killer
- Minn. man pulls police officer from burning car
- Delaware man charged with 12th DUI
- Del. trooper charged with stalking, harassment
- Community relief for victims of Ewing Twp. explosion
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Man critically injured in Willingboro hit,...
41 min ago