More child sex charges for West Chester foster dad
WEST CHESTER, Pa. - July 31, 2013 (WPVI) -- A West Chester man who served as a foster father to dozens of children over the years, and was charged with child sex assault back in June, now faces more charges.
Leroy Mitchell, 60, formerly of West Strasburg Road in West Bradford Township and Brandywine Drive in Newlin Township, was charged with abusing five additional children, Chester County District Attorney Tom Hogan announced on Wednesday.
Of the new victims, one dates back to 1966, when the victim was five years old and Mitchell was in his teens.
Three of the victims are Mitchell's former foster children, Hogan said, and their ages ranges from three to ten years old.
Hogan went on to say that, for one victim, Mitchell gave lollipops to "reward" her after the sexual abuse. For another victim, Mitchell allegedly gave a milkshake as part of the sexual abuse, and promised to take the victim to McDonald's on other occasions.
Mitchell is charged with multiple counts of involuntary deviate sexual intercourse, indecent assault, endangering the welfare of children, and related charges.
Mitchell was previously charged with sexually abusing two children. Those victims were between the ages of seven and nine at the time of the assaults.
Mitchell and his wife were foster parents to over 50 children throughout the years, Hogan said, served as a girls' softball coach for the Unionville Recreation Association and was a former prison lieutenant.
"For the last 40 years, the defendant built his life around getting access to children in order to sexually abuse them. His job, his family life, and his coaching activities were part of an act to lure children to him," Hogan said in a written statement. "The defendant was a wolf in sheep's clothing."
As the investigation continues, police are looking for more victims in this case. Photos of Mitchell from his current age and from when he was 18 years younger were released to help jog the memories of anyone who might be involved.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Pennsylvania State Police Trooper David Brodeur at (610) 486-6280 or Chester County Detective James Ciliberto at (610) 344-6866.
chester county news, pennsylvania news, child sex assault, sex assault, local/state
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Man targeted in hit-and-run crash
- NJ woman: Dog and TV stolen on 1st date 56 min ago
- Prescription drug ring busted at Aria-Torresdale Hospital 59 min ago
- Family pets die in house blaze in Newark, Del.
- Captain of sunken S. Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Search teams recover body of 13th Sherpa
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Pedestrian struck by train in Plymouth Meeting
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police