More child sex charges for West Chester foster dad
WEST CHESTER, Pa. - July 31, 2013 (WPVI) -- A West Chester man who served as a foster father to dozens of children over the years, and was charged with child sex assault back in June, now faces more charges.
Leroy Mitchell, 60, formerly of West Strasburg Road in West Bradford Township and Brandywine Drive in Newlin Township, was charged with abusing five additional children, Chester County District Attorney Tom Hogan announced on Wednesday.
Of the new victims, one dates back to 1966, when the victim was five years old and Mitchell was in his teens.
Three of the victims are Mitchell's former foster children, Hogan said, and their ages ranges from three to ten years old.
Hogan went on to say that, for one victim, Mitchell gave lollipops to "reward" her after the sexual abuse. For another victim, Mitchell allegedly gave a milkshake as part of the sexual abuse, and promised to take the victim to McDonald's on other occasions.
Mitchell is charged with multiple counts of involuntary deviate sexual intercourse, indecent assault, endangering the welfare of children, and related charges.
Mitchell was previously charged with sexually abusing two children. Those victims were between the ages of seven and nine at the time of the assaults.
Mitchell and his wife were foster parents to over 50 children throughout the years, Hogan said, served as a girls' softball coach for the Unionville Recreation Association and was a former prison lieutenant.
"For the last 40 years, the defendant built his life around getting access to children in order to sexually abuse them. His job, his family life, and his coaching activities were part of an act to lure children to him," Hogan said in a written statement. "The defendant was a wolf in sheep's clothing."
As the investigation continues, police are looking for more victims in this case. Photos of Mitchell from his current age and from when he was 18 years younger were released to help jog the memories of anyone who might be involved.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Pennsylvania State Police Trooper David Brodeur at (610) 486-6280 or Chester County Detective James Ciliberto at (610) 344-6866.
chester county news, pennsylvania news, child sex assault, sex assault, local/state
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash 20 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Shooting leads to police standoff in Logan 42 min ago
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death 58 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Volunteer brutally assaulted outside Lehigh Co. church
- Delco police standoff ends, suspect dead
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Tests confirm toxic chemicals inside Phila. fire station
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to...
58 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
20 min ago