New Jersey Turnpike reopens after crash in West Deptford
WEST DEPTFORD, N.J. - August 1, 2013 (WPVI) -- An accident involving a tractor-trailer and a dump truck shut down the southbound lanes of the New Jersey Turnpike at Parkville Road in West Deptford for hours early Thursday morning.
The accident happened at 3:37 a.m. at milepost 19.7 in West Deptford, Gloucester County.
Police say the driver of the tractor-trailer was attempting to pass the dump truck when the rig clipped the rear of the dump truck.
The collision caused the tractor-trailer to jack-knife and sent the dump truck off the roadway and into a tree 50 feet into a wooded area.
The driver of the dump truck became trapped inside the vehicle and needed to be extricated by rescuers.
The driver of the tractor-trailer, 60-year-old Vico Bertogli of Toughkenamon, Pennsylvania, was not seriously hurt and refused treatment at the scene. The driver of the dump truck, 53-year-old Lloyd Hartsell of Monroeville, New Jersey, was transported to Cooper University Medical Center by helicopter for treatment of injuries deemed to be not life-threatening.
The southbound lanes were closed for approximately three hours, from Exit 4 (Route 73) to Exit 2 (Route 322). However, traffic has since reopened.
accident, new jersey news, local/state
- Police: Missing boy struck by car 53 min ago
- Temps soar above normal 3 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Coffins unearthed at North Philly school 22 min ago
- No cheer uniforms for North Philadelphia Aztec squad 10 min ago
- Attack in Center City caught on camera
- Police: Threat to father used in phone scam
- Stolen cobalt-60 found abandoned in Mexico 25 min ago
- Report: NSA tracks billions of cellphones daily
- Kutztown coach accused of covering up teen's rape
- Prosecutor: Sex investigation of FSU QB over
- Photos: 6abc at Q102 Jingle Ball 2013 47 min ago
- Video: 20th annual Phila. holiday tree lighting 19 min ago
- 20th annual Phila. holiday tree lighting
19 min ago
- Firefighters battle Hunting Park blaze
14 min ago
- Coffins unearthed at North Philly school
22 min ago