Driver rescued from pond, charged with 5th DUI
MIDDLETOWN, Del. - August 1, 2013 (WPVI) -- The man rescued from a truck that crashed into a pond in Middletown, Delaware has now been charged with his 5th DUI.
Victor Santiago, of East Cole Boulevard in Middletown, was charged following the crash late Wednesday night.
Police say it was around 11:00 p.m. when the vehicle crash into the retention pond.
A passerby reported the green pickup truck in the water near the 100 block of Bonnybrook Lane.
Officers arrived to find Santiago still in the truck, along with empty bottles of alcohol and, according to police, the "strong odor of alcohol emanating from Mr. Santiago."
Police pulled Santiago from the truck, but say he couldn't tell them what happened because his speech was "indiscernible."
Along with DUI, Santiago was charged for driving with a suspended license.
Santiago was treated at the hospital and later made bail and was released from custody.
delaware news, new castle county news, DUI, accident, local/state
- 4 charged with murder in deadly NJ mall carjacking 44 min ago
- Record Warmth! 29 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- Police investigate tire slashings in South Philadelphia
- Police investigate truck accident on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Police investigate double shooting in Mantua
- 3 rescued after car plunges into Delaware pond
- Multi-vehicle crash on Schuylkill Expressway
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- 4 charged with murder in deadly NJ mall...
44 min ago
- Record Warmth!
29 min ago