Driver rescued from pond, charged with 5th DUI
MIDDLETOWN, Del. - August 1, 2013 (WPVI) -- The man rescued from a truck that crashed into a pond in Middletown, Delaware has now been charged with his 5th DUI.
Victor Santiago, of East Cole Boulevard in Middletown, was charged following the crash late Wednesday night.
Police say it was around 11:00 p.m. when the vehicle crash into the retention pond.
A passerby reported the green pickup truck in the water near the 100 block of Bonnybrook Lane.
Officers arrived to find Santiago still in the truck, along with empty bottles of alcohol and, according to police, the "strong odor of alcohol emanating from Mr. Santiago."
Police pulled Santiago from the truck, but say he couldn't tell them what happened because his speech was "indiscernible."
Along with DUI, Santiago was charged for driving with a suspended license.
Santiago was treated at the hospital and later made bail and was released from custody.
delaware news, new castle county news, DUI, accident, local/state
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion 5 min ago
- Brief Surge of Mild Air 54 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Mutilated animal in Brewerytown possibly a bobcat 23 min ago
- Police investigate 2 shootings at illegal Trenton bar 30 min ago
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects 1 min ago
- Cabbie allegedly locks doors in credit card dispute 27 min ago
- Wynnewood community mourns college student's death 34 min ago
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run 9 min ago
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley 18 min ago
- Accused wedding crasher thief pleads guilty 29 min ago
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane mystery
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
1 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos