Flight carrying Vt. US Sen. Leahy diverted to Philadelphia
PHILADELPHIA - August 2, 2013 (WPVI) -- A commercial flight carrying U.S. Sen. Patrick Leahy and 79 others to Vermont diverted to Philadelphia on Friday because of mechanical problems, authorities said. No injuries were reported.
Leahy, third in line to the presidency, told The Associated Press that the US Airways flight landed smoothly and passengers were being transferred to another flight to Burlington.
The pilot reported hydraulic problems soon after leaving Washington's Reagan National Airport at about 10:15 a.m., prompting him to divert to Philadelphia at about 11:30 a.m., officials said.
Flight 3235 landed safely and, following protocol, was towed to the gate, airline spokesman Todd Lehmacher said. The Republic Airlines regional jet carried 80 passengers and four crew members, he said.
Leahy said he'd known the pilot, Drew Chace of Vermont, for years, and said he did "a remarkably good job."
The Federal Aviation Administration was investigating.
Leahy, who has represented Vermont in the Senate since 1975, said he and his wife, Marcelle, fly between Burlington and Washington several times a month and had never had a serious problem. He said he's had more hair-raising experiences flying overseas but would still be especially glad to see his Middlesex home.
"I must admit the front porch in the farmhouse always looks good. Tonight it's going to look twice as good," Leahy said.
The airline's website showed the new flight landed in Burlington at about 2:15 p.m.
Leahy, president pro tem of the senate, had a security team traveling with him.
Associated Press writer Wilson Ring in Montpelier, Vt., contributed to this report.
philadelphia, air travel, local/state
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Milder Monday 46 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown 43 min ago
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door 48 min ago
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
43 min ago
- Kevin Grow suits up with Harlem Globetrotters
54 min ago
- Milder Monday
46 min ago