White powder forces evacuations at Northeast Philadelphia correctional facility
NORTHEAST PHILADELPHIA - August 5, 2013 (WPVI) -- Officials responded to reports of a white powdery substance found in a Northeast Philadelphia correctional facility late Monday morning.
Around 11:30 a.m. Monday officials were notified of a type of powdery substance in the mailroom at the Curran-Fromhold Correctional Facility on the 8200 block of State Road.
Two workers who came in contact with the substance were quarantined.
20 people were evacuated.
The fire department and hazmat crews were called in.
The incident was cleared by the afternoon and the powder was determined not to be a hazardous substance.
philadelphia, hazmat, local/state
- DA's office: 4 held in deadly NJ mall carjacking 8 min ago
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- Several cars vandalized in South Philadelphia 52 min ago
- Police investigate truck accident on Roosevelt Boulevard 33 min ago
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Overbrook shooting
- Multi-vehicle crash on Schuylkill Expressway
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested
- Video released of AK-47 robbery in Wynnefield
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish