12 children, 2 adults injured in Rec. Dept. van crash on I-295 in NJ
BURLINGTON TWP., N.J. - August 5, 2013 (WPVI) -- A Trenton Department of Recreation van overturned Monday on I-295 in Burlington County, injuring 14 people, including 12 children.
It happened at 5:30 p.m. near exit 47 in Burlington Township.
Police say the van, marked City of Trenton Department of Recreation, was carrying a total of 15 people and traveling in the northbound lanes when the driver lost control.
The van overturned and ended up in the grassy median separating the north- and southbound sides of the interstate.
Images from Chopper 6 HD showed multiple rescue units and several people being taken to eight ambulances which responded to the scene
The 14 injured people were taken to Virtua Hospital's Mount Holly Campus. All of the injuries were said to be minor.
It was not immediately clear what caused the driver of the van to lose control. An investigation is underway.
Traffic on both sides of the interstate was backed up for over an hour as crews worked to transport the injured and clear the scene.
new jersey news, accident, burlington county news, local/state
- Runway littered with holiday mail 37 min ago
- Warmer Weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings 41 min ago
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school 29 min ago
- SEPTA spreads holiday cheer with toy drive 48 min ago
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- Fmr. Montco GOP chairman to stand trial for rape 31 min ago
- Pa. Turnpike reopens after multi-vehicle crash
- Bishop McDevitt HS student robbed at gunpoint
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ 10 min ago
- Gov. Christie signs immigrant tuition bill
- Volleyball coach accused of sex with student
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport