12 children, 2 adults injured in Rec. Dept. van crash on I-295 in NJ
BURLINGTON TWP., N.J. - August 5, 2013 (WPVI) -- A Trenton Department of Recreation van overturned Monday on I-295 in Burlington County, injuring 14 people, including 12 children.
It happened at 5:30 p.m. near exit 47 in Burlington Township.
Police say the van, marked City of Trenton Department of Recreation, was carrying a total of 15 people and traveling in the northbound lanes when the driver lost control.
The van overturned and ended up in the grassy median separating the north- and southbound sides of the interstate.
Images from Chopper 6 HD showed multiple rescue units and several people being taken to eight ambulances which responded to the scene
The 14 injured people were taken to Virtua Hospital's Mount Holly Campus. All of the injuries were said to be minor.
It was not immediately clear what caused the driver of the van to lose control. An investigation is underway.
Traffic on both sides of the interstate was backed up for over an hour as crews worked to transport the injured and clear the scene.
new jersey news, accident, burlington county news, local/state
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
- AccuWeather: Friday Clouds and SE Rain
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 Phila. schools closed Friday, staff relocated
- How to safeguard your computer against kidnappers
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- Police search for missing Philadelphia couple
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Resident return to assess damage from Ewing explosion
- K9 unit leads police to burglary suspect in Medford
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law
- Upper Darby cop charged with DUI in hit-and-run