South Philadelphia bars sued over death of ballerina
SOUTH PHILADELPHIA - August 6, 2013 (WPVI) -- Two south Philadelphia bars are being sued by the estate of an aspiring Bulgarian ballerina who was killed by a drunken driver in a hit-and-run.
The estate of 22-year-old Polina Kadiyska has filed a civil wrongful-death lawsuit against the driver and two bars where he was allegedly served alcohol on his 18th birthday.
The third-year student at the Rock School for Dance Education was struck by a car that ran a red light.
DeAndre Barnes pleaded guilty in February to vehicular homicide while driving under the influence.
He is serving five to 10 years in state prison for the March 2012 crash.
The suit also lawsuit names as defendants the owners of T-Barr's Bar and Frantic Nightclub.
Both bar owners say Barnes was not drinking in their establishments that night.
pennsylvania news, south philadelphia, philadelphia, hit and run, accident, local/state
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's wish
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado high school dies
- 6 apartments destroyed in Wilmington fire
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in East Mt. Airy shooting
- $10K reward posted in Delco murder case
- Police search for missing Delco mother
- Woman arrested in fatal North Philly stabbing
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ