South Philadelphia bars sued over death of ballerina
SOUTH PHILADELPHIA - August 6, 2013 (WPVI) -- Two south Philadelphia bars are being sued by the estate of an aspiring Bulgarian ballerina who was killed by a drunken driver in a hit-and-run.
The estate of 22-year-old Polina Kadiyska has filed a civil wrongful-death lawsuit against the driver and two bars where he was allegedly served alcohol on his 18th birthday.
The third-year student at the Rock School for Dance Education was struck by a car that ran a red light.
DeAndre Barnes pleaded guilty in February to vehicular homicide while driving under the influence.
He is serving five to 10 years in state prison for the March 2012 crash.
The suit also lawsuit names as defendants the owners of T-Barr's Bar and Frantic Nightclub.
Both bar owners say Barnes was not drinking in their establishments that night.
pennsylvania news, south philadelphia, philadelphia, hit and run, accident, local/state
- Photos: AccuWeather Maps: Snow arrives
- Snow will turn the ground white again!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Woman, 98, injured in Powelton high-rise fire
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator
- Crimeans vote to leave Ukraine, join Russia
- March Madness: Villanova, St. Joe's, UDel all in
- Delaware man suspected in 14 different thefts
- NJ salon customer allegedly attacks employees
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids