Heroes of the Pa. municipal building shooting
SAYLORSBURG, Pa. - August 6, 2013 (WPVI) -- The two men who tackled alleged municipal building gunman Rockne Newell Monday night are being hailed as heroes.
Bernie Kozen is director of the local Open Space Commission. Mark Kresh is a local resident.
Kozen and Kresh were the ones who wrestled Newell to the ground while he was still allegedly unloading his weapon on the innocent crowd.
We talked to Kozen, but he was too upset to speak on camera Tuesday.
Kresh spoke with Action News, but did not want to show his face on camera.
"I saw a situation where people needed help. I stepped in and helped. That's all I see that happened," he said.
Kresh said he feels uncomfortable with all the attention he has been receiving. He told me the focus should be on the innocent people who were killed or wounded.
"The story is about them. I don't believe it's about anybody else who came out of the building alive and well," said Kresh.
Kresh admits his main motivation for tackling that gunman was his wife.
"I got up and ran. And I'll be honest with you. My wife was behind me, and I did not want her to be shot," he said.
Also Tuesday, we spoke with several friends of those who were killed.
Pete Scarfaro says Chestnuthill Township Supervisor David Fleetwood was one of the sweetest people he ever met.
"He was always smiling. I'd go in and talk to him and say hi to him, always very, very sociable person. It's just a shame," he said.
pennsylvania news, monroe county, shooting, local/state, walter perez
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- 3 frigid days, another weekend storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Woman killed in Germantown was Villanova prof.
- On video: Robber dives thru window, attacks clerk
- Limo driver charged in wreck that killed newlyweds
- Camden man accused of robbing 5 banks in 1 month 11 min ago
- Pa. girl, 18, survives bear attack
- New video shows deadly Asiana jet crash 25 min ago
- Women sentenced in murder of Danny DeGennaro 34 min ago
- Mega Millions jackpot climbs; $1M ticket sold in NJ
- Fake deaf interpreter crashes Mandela memorial
- Bedbug fighter recalled over fire hazard 4 min ago