Upper Darby police release photo of baby missing, possibly dead
UPPER DARBY - August 7, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police in Upper Darby Township, Delaware County say a 7-month-old baby is missing and may be dead.
Ummad Rushdi, 31, the boyfriend of the child's mother, was arrested around 2:30 a.m. Wednesday in York, Pa.
That child, 7-month-old Hamza Ali, has not yet been found.
In case the baby is still alive, police released a photo of him on Wednesday morning to aid in the search.
Police say the investigation began after they received a call from the infant's mother Tuesday night saying she, Rushdi and the child had been visiting Rushdi's parents in Upper Darby over the weekend.
She said Rushdi, whom she has known for three weeks, took the baby early Sunday morning and that she believed he was heading back to York, where they both live.
Police believe the boy was taken from the home before the mother was awake.
"Apparently they were sleeping inside 6604 Chestnut Street. Rushdi was in the room, by himself with the baby. There was some type of interaction where the baby died and Rushdi did not want to share with the mother that the baby had died so he drove the baby out of that location," Chitwood said, but added this was preliminary information as the investigation begins.
Police believe the child was killed in Upper Darby and was taken to an area near York, Pa. or Columbia, Pa.
Chitwood said Rushdi's brother told police he believed that Rushdi killed the child and buried him in a field in York.
When police found Rushdi in York, he tried to run out the back door of a home, Chitwood said. Officers arrested him and found the car he was driving abandoned, he said.
When Rushdi was arrested, he had $800 in cash, a knife and handcuffs in his possession, Chitwood said.
Rushdi is in custody, facing kidnapping and other charges. Chitwood said he was not being cooperative.
Rushdi is now in the custody of Upper Darby police. He arrived in an unmarked car around noon Wednesday.
pennsylvania news, delaware county news, upper darby, baby death, local/state
- Pizza deliveryman ID'd in police shooting 33 min ago
- Mostly sunny, very windy today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say
- Police ID man found dead in Centreville driveway 31 min ago
- Fmr. Devon Prep teacher faces child porn charges
- 5-alarm fire burns at motel in Berks County 13 min ago
- 3rd lottery jackpot hits at Atlantic Co. truck stop
- Detectives serve warrants at Chester police station
- New 'object of interest' in missing jet hunt
- Restaurant plans new statue of Joe Paterno
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- What would you ask Mayor Nutter?
- Pizza deliveryman ID'd in police shooting
33 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos