Police: 2 shootings that left 4 injured, including baby, connected
PHILADELPHIA - August 8, 2013 (WPVI) -- Bullets flew into a house in Kensington with three young children inside overnight, and one of those children - an infant just 3 weeks old - was hit with debris.
It was around 2:30 a.m. when nine bullets were fired at a 19-year-old man as he was getting out of a taxicab and entering a home on the 3200 block of Rorer Street.
Two of the bullets hit the man in the leg and the torso. He was transported to the hospital in stable condition.
A neighbor who asked not to be identified described the wild scene.
"I was just feeding my baby at nighttime and heard gunshots, so we both dropped to floor," said the neighbor.
The remaining bullets came inside the home, where an infant was sleeping was merely inches from the front door.
"Two of the bullets went through the screen door and storm door and went through the couch where a three week old was sleeping. He was missed by inches," said Chief Inspector Scott Small.
The bullets narrowly missed the three week old sleeping baby boy, but he was hit in the face with debris from the doors. He was taken to St. Christopher's Hospital to be checked out.
An 18-month-old, a 7-month-old, and three women were also inside but were not injured.
Investigators believe this shooting was related to a shooting hours earlier in North Philadelphia.
Just before 1:00 a.m. on the 2800 block of North 20th Street, a different 19-year-old was shot twice, as was his 36-year-old female neighbor.
At least five shots were fired at close range.
The 19-year-old was taken to the hospital in critical condition while his neighbor was listed in stable condition.
Police are still investigating both shootings and have not released the names of any suspects or a motive.
shooting, kensington, children, philadelphia, local/state
- Numbers drawn for $636M Mega Millions jackpot
- Overnight Snow Showers South
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Phila. attorney Charles Peruto, Sr. dies
- Dramatic video released of violent 7-Eleven robbery
- Coach charged with sexually assaulting 4 more victims
- Woman found murdered in Bethlehem
- 91-year-old man stabbed, robbed in Egg Harbor
- Harvard student charged in campus bomb hoax
- Kevin Hart on stolen computers: I'll be back
- Gunman kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- NASA orders urgent spacewalk repairs at station