Rash of car break-ins in Lower Merion Township
LOWER MERION TWP., Pa. - August 8, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police in Lower Merion Township are alerting residents about an increasing number of vehicle break-ins.
Police say there have been 64 incidents since late June.
It's been happening in many different neighborhoods around the region.
Authorities say Wynnewood and Bala Cynwyd have been the hardest hit especially in areas where more residents park their cars on the street.
"We do park one of our cars in the street and it's disturbing to know," said Roy Isen.
It's not uncommon for some residents to leave their cars open, with cash inside.
"They leave purses, iPads, in some cases briefcases," said Superintendent Mike McGrath, Merion Police Department.
"I'm a college student so I leave my backpack in my car all the time," said Morgan Dawkins.
Supt. McGrath says the township has increased its patrols with marked and unmarked police cars but, ultimately it's up to residents to protect their valuables.
"It's very important that you either secure those items, whether you're at home or parking lots, or take them into the house. But always lock your cars and many cars have alarms, so make sure your alarm system's on," said Supt. McGrath.
There have also been a number of home burglaries in the township. Most have happened during the day on streets where there are a lot of trees for concealment.
Police encourage residents to take advantage of the township's Vacant House Program, when they're away from their home.
"During the course of time you're away, we'll double check it and make sure everything is okay," said Supt. McGrath.
Authorities say most importantly, if you see anything suspicious, contact police immediately.
pennsylvania news, montgomery county news, burglary, break-in, local/state, lisa thomas-laury
- Montco DA: Drug ring targeted schools; 8 arrested 29 min ago
- Sunny today, more clouds tomorrow 10 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Package prompts evac at Del. National Guard base 38 min ago
- Skydiver in fatal South Jersey accident ID'd
- Photos: Pictures from NJ skydiving accident
- Woman's body found in Pa. excavation storage site
- Medical chopper called to crash on Route 55 25 min ago
- Jogger helps rescue man from Schuylkill River 23 min ago
- Thousands run first Boston Marathon since bombings 4 min ago
- Surveillance expected from Target heist
- Teen stowaway survives flight in landing gear 8 min ago
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!
- Montco DA: Drug ring targeted schools; 8...
29 min ago
- Medical chopper called to crash on Route 55
25 min ago
- Jogger helps rescue man from Schuylkill River
23 min ago
- Teen stowaway survives flight in landing gear
8 min ago