Hite, Nutter announce plan for safe routes this Fall
PHILADELPHIA - August 9, 2013 (WPVI) -- Plans are moving forward for the start of the Philadelphia school year, just one day after School Superintendent William Hite issued a dire warning about funding and safety.
Friday morning, Hite and Mayor Michael Nutter announced a new walk safety program for students attending new schools this Fall.
Education Works and the Bicycle Coalition created 30 safe routes, mostly for the city's elementary school students. The routes will be lined with volunteers before and after school.
Nutter says the plans have been in the works for months. But Hite's demand for $50-million to open schools on time loomed large over this morning's event.
"I'm certainly fully optimistic that schools will open at some point, hopefully on the scheduled first day of school, September 9th, and that they are safe. But they will open nonetheless, and we need to make sure that we have safe routes and let the public know what those routes are while others of us work on the school funding issues," the mayor said.
Hite announced Thursday that the district needs $50-million by next Friday in order to open schools on time and to operate safely.
For more information on the safe routes project visit WalkSafePHL.org.
philadelphia, school, education, philadelphia school district, mayor michael nutter, local/state
- London theater partially collapses; 80 injured 22 min ago
- Record Weekend Warmth
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings 49 min ago
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk 8 min ago
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Video captures Laundromat robbery
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings
- London theater partially collapses; 80...
22 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos