West Chester teen lifeguards save 2 in Atlantic City
ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. - August 9, 2013 (WPVI) -- Two vacationing teenage lifeguards from Pennsylvania rescued a man and his son in Atlantic City.
Seventeen-year-old Nick Smart and his 15-year-old brother, Dillon, of Thorton, Pa., were with their family Thursday. The brothers had time off from their lifeguard jobs at an apartment complex in West Chester, Pa.
The brothers were surfing off North Carolina Avenue when they noticed a man and his son holding a pole in the jetty. The man's wife was waving frantically from shore.
Dillon tells The Press of Atlantic City he threw them his surfboard to help the 36-year-old man and his 10-year-old son stay afloat.
Nick says the father told them he was exhausted and couldn't move his legs.
The brothers helped them both back to shore. They were both scratched and sore, but were well enough to take in a walk on the Atlantic City Boardwalk and to thank the brothers who saved them.
"We're really greatful to both of them."
The chief of the Atlantic City Beach Patrol told Action News that Thursday night's incident points out something very important: Nobody should be going into the water after 6 p.m. because the lifeguards are off duty.
Information from: The Press of Atlantic City (N.J.), http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com
atlantic city news, atlantic county news, new jersey news, pennsylvania news, chester county news, hero, rescue, local/state
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's wish 54 min ago
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado high school dies
- 6 apartments destroyed in Wilmington fire
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in East Mt. Airy shooting 13 min ago
- Police search for missing Delco mother
- Woman arrested in fatal North Philly stabbing
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
- Penn State student dies in jump from garage
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's...
54 min ago