Caught on Video: Man on bike mugs woman in Rittenhouse Square
RITTENHOUSE SQUARE - August 9, 2013 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia Police are looking for the man on a bicycle who mugged a 71-year-old woman in Rittenhouse Square in an attack that was caught on video.
It happened shortly before 6:00 p.m. on Wednesday.
Investigators say the victim was walking home from the Farmers Market when, in the 2300 block of Manning Street, the bicyclist came up behind her.
The man grabbed her by the back and spun her around, injuring her right knee.
The victim began to scream, police say, and that's when the suspect grabbed her purse, which had her driver's license, credit cards, pre-paid cell phone and $65 in cash.
The man then rode his bike west on Manning Street.
"He might not be part of that community," said Lt. Patrick Doherty of the Philadelphia Police. "But whatever community he lives in, he's a problem. He's doing burglaries, he's doing thefts, car thefts, auto thefts. It would benefit everyone in Philadelphia if we would get this guy identified and off the street.
The head of maintenance at the building that provided the surveillance video, John Stevenson, was disgusted by what was captured by the cameras.
"He's less than a man, that's what I say," Stevenson said. "You don't do that anyway, but an older lady? C'mon. A punk."
The suspect is described by police as a black male, about 20 years old, standing six feet tall with a muscular build. He was wearing a bright green t-shirt and tan shorts.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Philadelphia Police at 215-686-TIPS (8477), text a tip to PPD TIP (773847) or through PhillyPolice.com.
philadelphia, center city, robbery, local/state
- ABC News: Possible security breach at Target 27 min ago
- Winter Warm Up 16 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police search for suspects in religious store robbery 51 min ago
- Jewelry thieves target Montgomery Co. open houses 35 min ago
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus 26 min ago
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments 23 min ago
- Upper Darby's Chitwood reflects on career 16 min ago
- Video: Soldier returning from Afghanistan...
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed 52 min ago
- ABC News: Possible security breach at Target
27 min ago
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus
26 min ago
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay...
23 min ago
- Upper Darby's Chitwood reflects on career
16 min ago