Police investigate ATM break-in in Southwest Philadelphia
SOUTHWEST PHILADELPHIA - August 10, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police are investigating a brazen break-in attempt at an ATM in Southwest Philadelphia.
Crews were called just after 1:15 a.m. to the Wells Fargo ATM machine located in the 2900 block of Island Avenue in the Penrose Shopping Center.
The 911 call came in as a report of a fire. Beside the dents, it appears the machine suffered heat damage.
Police believe the suspects pried open one layer of the machine then possibly took a blow torch to try to get to the cash.
"I don't know how they thought they could get a blow torch to open that up," said David Tucker.
Some laughed at the criminal gaffe but it put others on edge.
"That's a good thing they didn't get any money but it's terrible, it's scary around here now," said Geralynn Brown.
Police believe the surveillance cameras were turned away during the crime , but the camera inside the ATM was rolling and police say the person responsible was caught on tape wearing a motorcycle helmet.
Just across the street on Lindbergh Boulevard several weeks ago, burglars got into a Rite Aid through the side door, taking off with cash and drugs.
According to police, with a piece of heavy equipment called a grinder they accessed the safe which held the prescription drugs. Pieces of the grinder were left behind.
In both cases two men were seen fleeing in a dark SUV. Police don't know if the cases are related.
Just over the bridge in Camden almost a month ago, at the PNC Bank on Broadway Street, there was a similar crime.
In that case police called it a sophisticated operation where the thieves used heavy duty tools. The suspects were got away with an unknown amount of cash.
Anyone with information on any of the incidents is asked to contact police.
robbery, southwest philadelphia, philadelphia, local/state
- Snow walloping Philadelphia area 33 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Storm causes multiple accidents, delays at airport 35 min ago
- Photos: Wintry weather forecast maps 41 min ago
- Photos: Images of Sunday's wintry mix 7 min ago
- 6abc.com Flight Tracker
- Check local traffic on 6abc.com!
- Video: Eagles fan tailgate in the snow
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Police: Son of PHA employee charged with DUI
- Body found in Logan tire fire
- Susan Boyle says Asperger's diagnosis was a relief
- Snow walloping Philadelphia area
33 min ago