Missing tuber in Tinicum Township, Bucks County identified
TINICUM TWP., Pa. - August 11, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police in Tinicum Township, Bucks County have released the identity of the tuber who went missing along the Delaware River.
The victim has been identified as 30-year-old Anthony Del Prete of Herndon, Virginia.
Two boats with sonar technology skimmed the river Sunday searching for Del Prete, who went missing Saturday afternoon while tubing with friends.
Point Pleasant Fire Chief Scott Fleischer says the water was too high and too rough for his team of divers to enter.
"The divers reported last night next to zero visibility. There are snags the divers could get caught in and we don't want them caught on anything," said Chief Fleischer.
Divers from New Jersey have now joined the search effort.
Officials say Del Prete had spent several hours Saturday tubing with 13 of his friends when a good time quickly turned bad.
Around 4:30 p.m., the group of 14 swimmers were about to get out of the water near the boat ramp on the New Jersey side.
Just short of that destination, Del Prete disappeared under water.
One of Del Prete's friends, who was too upset to talk, dove into the water but couldn't find him.
Del Prete was not wearing a life vest and with recent rainfall, the Delaware River was swollen and strong.
"Without a life jacket, it doesn't take much to slip in. Up top, the river looks calm but down below there's a lot of current and a lot of things that you can get caught on that'll hold you under," said Chief Fleischer.
Friends say Del Prete had moved from Manayunk over a year ago and was spending the weekend visiting friends.
pennsylvania news, bucks county news, missing person, local/state
- 1 dead, multiple in custody after Logan standoff 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco 41 min ago
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Volunteer brutally assaulted outside Lehigh Co. church
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: Pictures of planned Old city luxury tower 28 min ago