Body washes ashore near search area for Wildwood swimmer
WILDWOOD, N.J. - August 11, 2013 (WPVI) -- Authorities say a body has washed ashore near the search area where a Wildwood swimmer went missing Saturday.
The missing swimmer has been identified as 24-year-old Christian Alfred, a Miami native.
Officials say a body washed up on the beach Sunday but have not released an identity.
This comes as Coast Guard crews announced they were calling off their search for Alfred on Sunday afternoon.
According to the Coast Guard, around 7:00 p.m. Saturday, Alfred was reportedly swimming near Rio Grande Avenue when he began struggling in the water and did not resurface.
A helicopter crew, boatcrew, and the New Jersey State Police assisted in the search.
One person was rescued from the water Saturday; authorities say the rescued victim did not require medical treatment.
new jersey news, jersey shore news, wildwood, missing person, local/state
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos