Body washes ashore near search area for Wildwood swimmer
WILDWOOD, N.J. - August 11, 2013 (WPVI) -- Authorities say a body has washed ashore near the search area where a Wildwood swimmer went missing Saturday.
The missing swimmer has been identified as 24-year-old Christian Alfred, a Miami native.
Officials say a body washed up on the beach Sunday but have not released an identity.
This comes as Coast Guard crews announced they were calling off their search for Alfred on Sunday afternoon.
According to the Coast Guard, around 7:00 p.m. Saturday, Alfred was reportedly swimming near Rio Grande Avenue when he began struggling in the water and did not resurface.
A helicopter crew, boatcrew, and the New Jersey State Police assisted in the search.
One person was rescued from the water Saturday; authorities say the rescued victim did not require medical treatment.
new jersey news, jersey shore news, wildwood, missing person, local/state
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Wet to Wintry!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Moment of silence marks Boston bombings
- Bucks Co. runner set to return to Boston Marathon
- Hundreds rescued after ferry sinks near South Korea
- 20-month-old found safe, Amber Alert canceled
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Woman delivers baby after church van crash
- Police: Pa. man tries to snatch baby from stroller
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos