Body washes ashore near search area for Wildwood swimmer
WILDWOOD, N.J. - August 11, 2013 (WPVI) -- Authorities say a body has washed ashore near the search area where a Wildwood swimmer went missing Saturday.
The missing swimmer has been identified as 24-year-old Christian Alfred, a Miami native.
Officials say a body washed up on the beach Sunday but have not released an identity.
This comes as Coast Guard crews announced they were calling off their search for Alfred on Sunday afternoon.
According to the Coast Guard, around 7:00 p.m. Saturday, Alfred was reportedly swimming near Rio Grande Avenue when he began struggling in the water and did not resurface.
A helicopter crew, boatcrew, and the New Jersey State Police assisted in the search.
One person was rescued from the water Saturday; authorities say the rescued victim did not require medical treatment.
new jersey news, jersey shore news, wildwood, missing person, local/state
- AccuWeather is Tracking More Snow
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Arrest in S. Phila. Christmas decoration theft 12 min ago
- Woman stabbed female cousin to death, police say
- Roy Halladay retiring as a Blue Jay
- Police: Man wasn't at casino before being shot
- 2 kids, 3 others injured in school bus crash 9 min ago
- Big storm dumps snow on East Coast
- US Airways, American merger complete
- Princeton begins meningitis B vaccinations
- Michael Carter-Williams released from hospital 54 min ago
- Photos: Pictures from Paul Walker memorial rally