1 arrest after laser pointed at Philadelphia police helicopter
PHILADELPHIA - August 12, 2013 (WPVI) -- One man has been arrested and charged with allegedly pointing a laser at a Philadelphia Police helicopter.
Luis Martinez, 20, of the 5200 block of Montour Street, was arrested after the incident at 9:17 p.m. on Sunday.
Police say the helicopter was in the air, searching a wooded area at Whitaker and Ruscomb for a report of a woman screaming. That report was later determined to be unfounded.
While the officers were in the air they were hit with a green laser.
The officers tried to elude the laser, but the beam stayed with them, interfering with their vision and their instruments, police said.
So, the officers used the helicopter's spotlight to illuminate the source of the laser. Police on the ground responded and took Martinez and one other person into custody.
Police say the laser was found on Martinez, so he was charged with aggravated assault, possessing an instrument of crime, simple assault and recklessly endangering another person.
Martinez could also face federal charges, police said.
The other person initially taken into custody has not been charged.
philadelphia, feltonville, police, local/state
- Man critically injured in Willingboro hit, run 1 min ago
- Tracking St. Patty's Day Snow
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance deliberate
- Elderly woman crashes into Toms River law ofc.
- Bucks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas 36 min ago
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly
- Del. trooper charged with stalking, harassment
- Community relief for victims of Ewing Twp. explosion
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- 3 people injured in Roosevelt Boulevard crash
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Authorities: Chris Brown arrested on warrant
- Man critically injured in Willingboro hit,...
1 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos