Car fleeing officers causes fiery crash in West Philadelphia, police say
WEST PHILADELPHIA - August 12, 2013 (WPVI) -- Investigators say a car fleeing police caused a firey multi-vehicle crash Monday night in West Philadelphia.
The Action Cam caught images of the charred wreckage at 53rd and Delancey near Spruce.
"I just heard a big boom," said one resident. "I was in my house. I came down the street, and it was like, 'Boom!' and I was like, 'Oh, my God.'"
Police say officers noticed a Lincoln Town Car around 9:00 p.m. on Walnut Street. It matched the description of a robbery from two months ago.
As soon as those police lights came on, investigators say the driver took off. The fleeing vehicle struck a taxi, which collided with two other cars.
Then the Lincoln hit a tree, lost control, went into tail spin and flipped, throwing out two men before it burst into flames.
Witnesses captured the fire on their cell phones.
"Thank God there were no kids or people in the street, because somebody could have gotten hurt," said a resident. "Look at it. It's ridiculous."
Four parked cars were damaged where the suspects' vehicle landed. At least two were totaled.
"I just got it out of the shop about 3 months ago," said Enoch Humphrey, one of the owners. "But now I'm right back where I started."
Police say they found two handguns near the suspects, and after looking at this scene, they're surprised more people weren't hurt.
The two suspects, who are in their 20s, were transported to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania in critical condition.
A total of 8 people were in those 3 occupied cars including that taxi. They all escaped injury.
philadelphia, accident, west philadelphia, local/state
- Pizza delivery man shot in Overbrook 19 min ago
- Foggy, cloudy, mild today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Missing Phila. boy hit by car in Upper Darby
- Police officer's SUV stolen with gun, badge 55 min ago
- Chester Co. firefighters called to Md. pet shop fire
- Coffins unearthed at North Philly school
- Attack in Center City caught on camera
- Police: Threat to father used in phone scam
- No jackets for North Philadelphia cheer squad
- Prosecutor: Sex investigation of FSU QB over
- Video: Topless woman chases peeper from Kohl's
- Video: First dog knocks down toddler at White House