Car fleeing officers causes fiery crash in West Philadelphia, police say
WEST PHILADELPHIA - August 12, 2013 (WPVI) -- Investigators say a car fleeing police caused a firey multi-vehicle crash Monday night in West Philadelphia.
The Action Cam caught images of the charred wreckage at 53rd and Delancey near Spruce.
"I just heard a big boom," said one resident. "I was in my house. I came down the street, and it was like, 'Boom!' and I was like, 'Oh, my God.'"
Police say officers noticed a Lincoln Town Car around 9:00 p.m. on Walnut Street. It matched the description of a robbery from two months ago.
As soon as those police lights came on, investigators say the driver took off. The fleeing vehicle struck a taxi, which collided with two other cars.
Then the Lincoln hit a tree, lost control, went into tail spin and flipped, throwing out two men before it burst into flames.
Witnesses captured the fire on their cell phones.
"Thank God there were no kids or people in the street, because somebody could have gotten hurt," said a resident. "Look at it. It's ridiculous."
Four parked cars were damaged where the suspects' vehicle landed. At least two were totaled.
"I just got it out of the shop about 3 months ago," said Enoch Humphrey, one of the owners. "But now I'm right back where I started."
Police say they found two handguns near the suspects, and after looking at this scene, they're surprised more people weren't hurt.
The two suspects, who are in their 20s, were transported to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania in critical condition.
A total of 8 people were in those 3 occupied cars including that taxi. They all escaped injury.
philadelphia, accident, west philadelphia, local/state
- Police car crash leads to chase in N. Phila. 19 min ago
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Phila. police seek missing special needs woman
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- Neighbors help residents escape Trenton fire 39 min ago
- 2 NJ men sentenced for bogus 9/11 charity
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons 54 min ago
- Officers drive into hail of gunfire in N. Phila.
- Woman's body found between parked cars in West Philadelphia
- Doors smashed in 2 Prices Corner store burglaries
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim
1 min ago