People in Penns Grove want fix for flooding
PENNS GROVE, N.J. - August 14, 2013 (WPVI) -- The storm that hit the region on Tuesday is still causing problems for some people in Penns Grove, New Jersey.
Even a full day later, streets in the town were still part of the Delaware River.
It's a persistent problem but, residents say, one that could be fixed.
The issue stems from a pumping station that broke several months ago. Now, every time it rains, the water that should be sent into the river pools in the neighborhood.
Sarae Abbott, who has lived in there for 12 years, said "We've lost just about everything we own, basically. This is probably the fifth time in three months we've been flooded."
"If we had a pump we wouldn't be going through this," she said.
Fixing the pump is not a money issue. The borough got a federal grant for $500,000 three years ago to replace the pump, well before it broke.
The problem has been getting all of the needed permits and approvals to do the work.
"We're going to be asking to see if they can expedite this whole issue," said Penns Grove Mayor John Washington.
"It's very much frustrating to myself as the mayor and all these residents. So, we're trying to get it done," Washington said.
The mayor said there will be a meeting about the flooding issues next Tuesday at 7:00 p.m. at the borough hall.
new jersey news, salem county news, severe weather, flooding, local/state, eva pilgrim
- Water main break cancels Cheyney U. classes 26 min ago
- Frost Advisory Overnight 26 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Crescentville shooting
- Tour bus catches fire in Galloway Twp.
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- Heist investigation leads to Roxborough apartment 1 min ago
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- No charges for 8 NJ wrestlers in lynching photo 48 min ago
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- WWII vet gets anonymous surprise in Bucks Co.
- Beau Biden to run for governor in Del.
- Frost Advisory Overnight
26 min ago
- Heist investigation leads to Roxborough...
1 min ago