Salvation Army to be named in Center City collapse lawsuits
PHILADELPHIA - August 15, 2013 (WPVI) -- The Salvation Army will become the latest defendant in litigation over a deadly Philadelphia building collapse, and a contractor has asked to delay the lawsuits amid a criminal grand jury probe.
Six people died inside a Salvation Army thrift store when an adjacent building being demolished collapsed on them in June.
Lawyer Robert Mongeluzzi on Thursday accused the Salvation Army of playing "a game of chicken" with its neighbor over the demolition, despite the known safety risks.
Emails between the building owner, the city and the charity detail the owner's requests to put a tarp over the small thrift store or place a bucket truck above it to remove an adjacent four-story brick wall by hand. The negotiations were unresolved when the wall collapsed June 5, trapping about 20 people in rubble. Four shoppers and two workers died.
Mongeluzzi, who represents six survivors and the family of one woman who died, has sued the building owner, STB Investments, along with demolition contractor Griffin Campbell, subcontractor Sean Benschop and others.
"The Salvation Army was not unaware of the danger, but rather engaged in a game of chicken with STB over the demolition and its potential danger," Mongeluzzi said.
Benschop, 42, is charged with involuntary manslaughter for allegedly operating heavy equipment at the scene while under the influence of a painkiller and marijuana. Authorities believe he was using the excavator to knock down the wall, even though the thrift store remained open.
Campbell has not been charged. However, his lawyer filed a motion Wednesday to delay the lawsuits until a criminal grand jury probe concludes. A city building inspector assigned to the area, on the edge of the city's business district, committed suicide days after the collapse.
A Salvation Army lawyer, and lawyers for Campbell and Benschop, did not immediately return calls seeking comment Thursday.
philadelphia, center city, collapse, local/state
- Man critically injured in Willingboro hit, run 26 min ago
- Tracking St. Patty's Day Snow 1 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance deliberate 21 min ago
- Elderly woman crashes into Toms River law ofc.
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly
- Del. trooper charged with stalking, harassment
- Community relief for victims of Ewing Twp. explosion 29 min ago
- Fire forces 11 people from their homes
- Driver crashes SUV into pole in East Falls, DUI suspected
- 3 people injured in Roosevelt Boulevard crash
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- Authorities: Chris Brown arrested on warrant
- Tracking St. Patty's Day Snow
1 min ago
- Man critically injured in Willingboro hit,...
26 min ago
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance...
21 min ago
- Community relief for victims of Ewing Twp....
29 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos