Arrest in theft of bicycles before charity ride in Rittenhouse Square
PHILADELPHIA - August 15, 2013 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia police have made an arrest in connection with the theft of 15 bicycles before a charity ride in Rittenhouse Square.
Daniel Byrd, 21, of the 2100 block of Spring Street, was arrested in connection with the July 28th theft.
It happened around 4:30 a.m. that day behind the Irish Pub at 20th and Walnut, which was the starting point for the Tour de Shore ride.
Riders had been storing their bikes there before the ride.
Surveillance video captured a light-colored Ford pickup truck as it drove up to the scene.
A person, later identified as Byrd, was seen getting out, stealing the 15 bicycles, and driving away.
That video was released to the media two days later and, police say, several tips followed.
Byrd was then identified as the suspect and he was arrested on Wednesday.
Byrd is charged with theft, criminal trespass and related offenses.
philadelphia, charity, theft, local/state
- 3 frigid days, another weekend storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- Stranded family found alive in Nevada 29 min ago
- Limo driver charged in wreck that killed newlyweds
- Cab driver carjacked in South Philadelphia 36 min ago
- Obama hails Mandela as "last great liberator"
- Fake deaf interpreter crashes Mandela memorial 36 min ago
- Possible abduction caught on camera in Spring Garden
- Police: Mom was DUI in chain-reaction crash
- PennDOT clears roads of snow, preps for ice
- Photos: Pictures from the winter storm
- Video: Prankster glues woman to Home Depot toilet 28 min ago
- Fake deaf interpreter crashes Mandela...
36 min ago
- Cab driver carjacked in South Philadelphia
36 min ago
- Woman stabbed to death in Germantown
39 min ago