FBI raids Philadelphia Sheriff's offices, Action News learns
PHILADELPHIA - August 15, 2013 (WPVI) -- Action News has learned that agents with the FBI have converged on the Philadelphia Sheriff's offices today in reference to operations in the Sheriff's office.
Sheriff's Department spokesman Joe Blake tells Action News that the agents served a subpoena and executive search warrants at their office at 100 South Broad Street around 9:00 a.m. Thursday.
"As part of an ongoing investigation begun in the previous administrations, the FBI arrived at the sheriff's office at 100 S. Broad this morning with a search warrant and subpoena for certain records and files," the Sheriff's Department said in a statement.
Agents were seen leaving the building with files and other records.
No arrests were made today and the Sheriff's Department is said to be fully cooperating with the ongoing probe.
Sources tell Action News that investigators were focused on unknown real-estate dealings in the Sheriff's Department.
The FBI is not commenting on the case and the Sheriff's Department will soon release a formal statement on today's operation.
The U.S. Attorney's Office in Philadelphia won't confirm or deny any investigation, says spokeswoman Patricia Hartmann.
philadelphia, fbi, local/state
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Milder Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ