Gunman opens fire on Camden home, killing woman inside
CAMDEN, N.J. - August 16, 20313 (WPVI) -- Police say it appears a gunman opened fire on a home in Camden, New Jersey overnight, killing a woman inside.
The shooting happened around 2:30 a.m. Friday on the 1200 block of Mechanic Street.
Lakisha Brooks wasn't home at the time, but soon learned her godmother, 53-year-old Conseulo Lowber, was shot while she was sitting on a living room couch. Lowber had been staying with Brooks' family.
Brooks says Lowber and Lowber's boyfriend had not long been home after walking from a nearby Chinese restaurant. The bullets tore through the front porch window and frame and through the closed curtains and drawn blinds.
She was hit twice as she sat near her boyfriend.
Lowber was rushed to Cooper University Hospital where she was soon pronounced dead.
Friends, who know Lowber as Connie, say she was a mother and grandmother who took jobs cleaning houses. They don't know who the bullets were meant for but can't imagine she was the intended target.
Police say they are still trying to determine if the gunman specifically targeted the home or if this was a random act of violence.
So far, no arrests have been made.
camden, camden county news, shooting, homicide, local/state
- Person of interest ID'd in hit-and-run
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Up to $50K stolen in Target armed robbery 3 min ago
- Camden teen reported missing
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite 38 min ago
- Flyers rally to beat Rangers 4-2, even series
- Woman's body found in Berks County ID'd
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Man found shot in minivan in Tioga-Nicetown
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!