1 cop still critical after Trenton shooting
TRENTON, N.J. - August 16, 2013 (WPVI) -- One Trenton police detective remains in critical condition after a shooting on Thursday.
Detective Sergeant Edgar Rios underwent surgery again on Friday morning to repair damage from gunshot wounds that penetrated his spleen and liver.
"Detective Rios is, in my opinion, improving and getting better and I'm just looking for positive thoughts and prayers from all of you," said Trenton Police Director Ralph Rivera.
Meanwhile, Detective James Letts, who was also shot on Thursday, was released from the hospital on Friday.
Rios and Letts were shot in the unit block of Hobart Avenue by 23-year-old Eric McNeil, who opened fire on them as they brought his ex-girlfriend home following a domestic violence incident.
McNeil was killed when the detectives returned fire.
The victim ran to a neighbor's house when the shooting started.
"She slid into our house and we thought she got hit," said Tiesha Mack. "She wasn't really saying anything and, when she did get up, she said she was like 'The cops told me to run and I was scared. I thought I was going to get hit.'"
After the original domestic violence incident early Thursday morning, police say McNeil apparently returned to the victim's house and, while there, he killed the victim's three week old puppy, Diamond.
Police say Eric McNeil was just released from prison May 25th.
new jersey news, trenton, mercer county news, shooting, police, local/state
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- Warmer Weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Overbrook shooting
- Multi-vehicle crash on Schuylkill Expressway
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Video released of AK-47 robbery in Wynnefield
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- Video: Flyers' Hartnell co-authors children's book