1 cop still critical after Trenton shooting
TRENTON, N.J. - August 16, 2013 (WPVI) -- One Trenton police detective remains in critical condition after a shooting on Thursday.
Detective Sergeant Edgar Rios underwent surgery again on Friday morning to repair damage from gunshot wounds that penetrated his spleen and liver.
"Detective Rios is, in my opinion, improving and getting better and I'm just looking for positive thoughts and prayers from all of you," said Trenton Police Director Ralph Rivera.
Meanwhile, Detective James Letts, who was also shot on Thursday, was released from the hospital on Friday.
Rios and Letts were shot in the unit block of Hobart Avenue by 23-year-old Eric McNeil, who opened fire on them as they brought his ex-girlfriend home following a domestic violence incident.
McNeil was killed when the detectives returned fire.
The victim ran to a neighbor's house when the shooting started.
"She slid into our house and we thought she got hit," said Tiesha Mack. "She wasn't really saying anything and, when she did get up, she said she was like 'The cops told me to run and I was scared. I thought I was going to get hit.'"
After the original domestic violence incident early Thursday morning, police say McNeil apparently returned to the victim's house and, while there, he killed the victim's three week old puppy, Diamond.
Police say Eric McNeil was just released from prison May 25th.
new jersey news, trenton, mercer county news, shooting, police, local/state
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- Slightly Cooler Sunday 39 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen 48 min ago
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian ID'd in fatal Collingdale hit-and-run
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Fairy Godmothers make prom dreams come true
12 min ago
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
39 min ago
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
48 min ago