Racist notes target family in Delaware County
NORWOOD, Pa. - August 16, 2013 (WPVI) -- The 100 block of Printz Avenue in Norwood is a quiet street of well-kept homes and gardens.
Maryann Pettit has lived here all her life.
"My neighbors are very nice. I know if anything happened, all I would have to do is knock on the door and they'd be right here for me," she said.
Clearly, though, someone doesn't share Pettit's high opinion of her next-door neighbors.
Over the past two years, Krista Devonshire and her family, which is bi-racial, have found nearly a half-dozen racist notes tucked into their windshield.
One read, "Get out of here. We do not want [expletive]s around here."
"Very disturbing. Very disturbing, very disrespectful. Very hurtful. Very hurtful," said Devonshire.
Devonshire reported the notes to the police and then tried to put them out her mind.
But when one appeared that targeted her one-year-old granddaughter, Devonshire had enough and is now going public.
This note said, "Go to Chester and live," and went on to call the baby the racist expletive.
Devonshire's daughter, the baby's mom, is trying not to take it to heart.
"I'm not going to let it bother me. It hurts, but I'm proud of who I am and what I am. And I'm going to raise her the same way, just how my mom raised me. Don't be ashamed of who you are," said Daisha DeMarco.
But police are taking the notes seriously and trying to find out who wrote them.
"It's racial intimidation. And whoever's going to be caught will be charged with that, harassment, and any other charges that seem fit," said Police Chief Mark DelVecchio.
Because this investigation is ongoing, the Norwood Borough Police are asking anyone who thinks they might know who's leaving these notes to give them a call at 610-461-2308. You can leave your information anonymously.
pennsylvania news, hate crime, delaware county news, local/state, amy buckman
- Screaming man attacks police station, cars
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today 44 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Homes evacuated in Tacony for gas leak 10 min ago
- Photos: Pictures of smashed police car, station...
- Standoff leaves 1 dead, several in custody
- 2 men shot inside Feltonville bar
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases
- Video: Would-be firebomber sets self on fire