Caretaker charged after special needs woman found bound in Olney home
OLNEY - August 18, 2013 (WPVI) -- A caretaker has been arrested after a woman with special needs was found tied to a bed inside a home in Olney.
46-year-old Regina Bennett is now charged with unlawful restraint and false imprisonment.
"We wasn't brought up like this. We weren't raised this way, we took care of each other," said Alissia Robinson, victim's sister.
Robinson doesn't want her face shown but tells Action News it was a phone call from police that filled her in on the disturbing news.
"I got a phone call after work that they found my sister, tied up to a bed, naked," said Robinson.
Bennett was the caretaker for Robinson's 36-year-old sister Sakinah.
According to Robinson, Sakinah has schizophrenia and the mental capacity of a 10-year-old.
Police discovered Sakinah tied to a bed in the basement of Bennett's home on the 200 block of Linton Street.
Police say the victim was very thin and had sores around her body. They freed her and took her to the hospital.
A fight between Bennett and neighbors is what initially brought police out there, but something made them go back. Robinson is calling that decision a blessing.
"I'm blessed that the police officers did make a second trip back out to the house because if they didn't who would have found my sister. We didn't even know that she was in the basement tied up," said Robinson.
It's been a year since Robinson saw her sister after a fallout with Bennett.
Sakinah had been in a home for people with special needs since she was 14 up until 2007 when Bennett took her in. Now Robinson wants her sister to live with her.
"I don't want my sister to go through this again and she's never going to go through this again," she said.
Meanwhile Bennett faces more charges from the fight with her neighbors.
Sakinah remains at Albert Einstein Hospital under evaluation. Her sister says family members have not been allowed to see her yet.
olney, philadelphia, local/state
- Skydiver ID'd in fatal Washing Twp. accident 15 min ago
- 70s Return This Week
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- $30K possibly stolen in Target armed robbery
- Person of interest ID'd in Collingdale hit-and-run
- 4 injured in Route 295 crash 11 min ago
- Camden teen reported missing
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- Oscar Mayer hot dogs recalled due to misbranding
- Flyers rally to beat Rangers 4-2, even series
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!
- Skydiver ID'd in fatal Washing Twp. accident
15 min ago