$25,000 reward in South Philadelphia vendor murder
SOUTH PHILADELPHIA - August 17, 2013 (WPVI) -- A respected food truck vendor was brutally murdered outside of his South Philadelphia home and his family hopes a reward will bring his killer to justice.
Hoanh Ly says his father, Don, was the pillar of his community and a fixture on Penn's campus where he sold produce from his fruit cart every day.
"He's very kind, he's very humble man and everything about him was so great," said Ly.
Ly says his father was a quiet man, who minded his own business.
"Every day he went to work, he come back home and he stayed inside the house," said Ly.
That's why the events on the morning of Thursday April 18th are so baffling to their family.
At about 5:00 a.m., the 68-year-old was loading up his cart in front of his home in the 400 block of Vollmer Street in South Philadelphia.
That's when police say a man approached Don stabbing him multiple times and killing him.
Ly doesn't believe this was a robbery since his father's wallet was still on him with about $200 cash inside.
"We never expected this kind of thing to happen to us or anybody else for that matter," said Ly.
He's described as a light skinned black or Spanish male, 5'8'', with facial hair and a thin build.
He was wearing dark colored clothing, a dark knit hat and black Chuck Taylor Converse sneakers.
"If you know this person, please call the police and turn them in. It's the right thing to do," said Ly.
The Citizens Crime Commission is administering a $5,000 reward and the City of Philadelphia is posting up to $20,000 for anyone with information that leads to the arrest and conviction of the person responsible.
All you have to do is call 215-546-TIPS (8477) or 215-686-TIPS (8477). All calls will remain anonymous.
philadelphia, local/state, rick williams
- Nelson Mandela dies at age 95 44 min ago
- Wet to Wintry 23 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings 39 min ago
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- Obama mourns death of icon Nelson Mandela 11 min ago
- Fmr. Marine's murder suspect held on $2M bail
- Photos: 21 suspects ID'd in Collingdale drug sweep
- Missing mom, baby from Newark, Del. found
- Sinkhole opens up on Northern Liberties street
- Christmas decoration theft caught on camera 35 min ago
- Pizza delivery man shot in Overbrook
- Coffins unearthed at North Philly school