Man shot execution-style at demolition site in Somerton identified
SOMERTON - August 19, 2013 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia police have identified the 19-year-old man shot execution-style at a demolition site in the city's Somerton section.
19-year-old Daquan Crump was found at around 7:20 a.m. Monday by a worker arriving for work at the site in the 10000 block of Northeast Avenue.
Based on reports from neighbors who heard gunshots, it appears Crump was killed about two hours earlier. Police say it was an execution, personal and vicious.
Crump was apparently forced to kneel in the dirt before he was shot. Police recovered 10 bullet shells from the scene.
"He was shot multiple times, anywhere from 10 to 12 times all in the face and head area. It was a very, very brutal murder," said Philadelphia Police Captain James Clark.
Crump was last seen leaving his job at a nearby Wendy's restaurant at about 11:00 p.m. Saturday.
Police say it does not appear to be a robbery since they found his backpack at the scene.
"He was dressed in civilian clothes. He had a backpack on. Inside his backpack was his Wendy's uniform," said Clark.
The manager at the Wendy's says Crump started working there a couple of weeks ago, and she says he didn't seem to have problems with anyone.
Homicide detectives brought his mother, his stepfather and his brother and sister to police headquarters late Monday afternoon.
They are trying to retrace his steps over the weekend.
Police say Crump has no record. His grandmother, Reva Moore, says he was an average 19-year-old who never caused trouble.
"He was a typical 19-year-old young man. He went through his trials and tribulations and all of that, but he was a good kid. He loved to laugh, he was good to people. He had a kind heart," she said.
The victim's family left police headquarters shortly before 6:00 p.m.
Police sources say they are making progress with the investigation. But they still need help from the public.
Anyone who might have seen suspicious activity around the neighborhood of that demolition site on Northeast Avenue near Red Lion Road is asked to give them a call.
philadelphia, somerton, shooting, homicide, local/state
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Sunny and chilly
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal found in North Philadelphia 22 min ago
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90 49 min ago
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door 43 min ago
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge 41 min ago
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Vietnam says it may have found missing...
43 min ago