Man shot execution-style at demolition site in Somerton identified
SOMERTON - August 19, 2013 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia police have identified the 19-year-old man shot execution-style at a demolition site in the city's Somerton section.
19-year-old Daquan Crump was found at around 7:20 a.m. Monday by a worker arriving for work at the site in the 10000 block of Northeast Avenue.
Based on reports from neighbors who heard gunshots, it appears Crump was killed about two hours earlier. Police say it was an execution, personal and vicious.
Crump was apparently forced to kneel in the dirt before he was shot. Police recovered 10 bullet shells from the scene.
"He was shot multiple times, anywhere from 10 to 12 times all in the face and head area. It was a very, very brutal murder," said Philadelphia Police Captain James Clark.
Crump was last seen leaving his job at a nearby Wendy's restaurant at about 11:00 p.m. Saturday.
Police say it does not appear to be a robbery since they found his backpack at the scene.
"He was dressed in civilian clothes. He had a backpack on. Inside his backpack was his Wendy's uniform," said Clark.
The manager at the Wendy's says Crump started working there a couple of weeks ago, and she says he didn't seem to have problems with anyone.
Homicide detectives brought his mother, his stepfather and his brother and sister to police headquarters late Monday afternoon.
They are trying to retrace his steps over the weekend.
Police say Crump has no record. His grandmother, Reva Moore, says he was an average 19-year-old who never caused trouble.
"He was a typical 19-year-old young man. He went through his trials and tribulations and all of that, but he was a good kid. He loved to laugh, he was good to people. He had a kind heart," she said.
The victim's family left police headquarters shortly before 6:00 p.m.
Police sources say they are making progress with the investigation. But they still need help from the public.
Anyone who might have seen suspicious activity around the neighborhood of that demolition site on Northeast Avenue near Red Lion Road is asked to give them a call.
philadelphia, somerton, shooting, homicide, local/state
- Detectives serve warrants at Chester police station
- Mostly sunny, very windy today 11 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man critical after police-involved shooting 8 min ago
- Fire damages corner produce store in North Philly 42 min ago
- 3 shot during funeral at Trenton church
- Serial burglar strikes South Phila. businesses
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Middle Township crash
- 6abc viewer helps police nab $18K jewelry suspect
- Arrest warrant issued in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Police release surveillance of Target heist
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- What would you ask Mayor Nutter?
- Mostly sunny, very windy today
11 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos