Hero Temple University cops deliver baby on North Broad Street
NORTH PHILADELPHIA - August 20, 2013 (WPVI) -- We've heard of 'Baby on Board.' Well, how about 'Baby on BROAD'?
Yes, on a busy stretch of North Broad Street, a couple of Temple University police officers were definitely in the right place at the right time.
Kamille Young couldn't wait to meet the tiny person she calls her third and final child. Apparently, baby Aamanee couldn't wait either.
"Not only was she two weeks early, she couldn't even wait for us to get back to the hospital," said Young.
Late Monday night, the 26-year-old North Philadelphia woman was in labor, and she needed a ride - fast.
Young, her husband and her sister climbed into the backseat of her best friend's red Cadillac and down Broad Street they went.
But . . . "that last contraction I had, I just knew I wasn't going to make it," said Young.
That's right. Aamanee was coming NOW.
Young's friend pulled up to Broad and Oxford, and there they were: two Temple University police officers.
"Once she said the baby was coming out, I knew this was happening no matter what we did," said Officer Chris DeRose. "So we just had to get ready for it."
DeRose grabbed supplies while his partner, Officer Justin Busam, who just happens to be an EMT, got into that backseat and went to work, delivering the 6 pound, 8 ounce girl at 12:42 a.m.
"I'm sure they were nervous, and they were scared. But once I was able... once they were able to hear the baby cry and I was able to place that child on the mother's chest, they were excited," said Busam.
Paramedics rushed mom and baby to Temple University Hospital, where, almost 24 hours later, Young was able to thank the hero cops.
But it's a picture that's getting the attention. Taken right after the curbside birth, it's proof that Aamanee was indeed born on Broad.
"I owe him so much," said Young. "He did such a good job."
Young is expected to be released from the hospital Wednesday with her healthy, beautiful baby.
She plans to take her daughter home in the backseat of that red Caddie.
philadelphia, temple university, north philadelphia, local/state, kenneth moton
- Montco DA: Drug ring targeted schools; 8 arrested 1 min ago
- Sunny today, more clouds tomorrow
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Package prompts evac at Del. National Guard base 10 min ago
- Skydiver in fatal South Jersey accident ID'd
- Photos: Pictures from NJ skydiving accident
- Woman's body found in Pa. excavation storage site
- Medical chopper called to crash on Route 55
- Jogger helps rescue man from Schuylkill River
- American Meb Keflezighi wins Boston Marathon 1 min ago
- Surveillance expected from Target heist
- Teen stowaway survives flight in landing gear
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!