Arrest made in sex assault of 14-year-old girl in Wissinoming Park
PHILADELPHIA - August 24, 2013 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia Police have arrested a 26-year-old suspect in connection with the sexual assault of a teen in Wissinoming Park.
Police were called around 2:00 a.m. after a 14-year-old girl was attacked.
They say the teen was walking home from the Frankford Transportation Center when she was robbed and raped while in Wissinoming Park.
The victim told police that the suspect attacked her by the bleachers.
The victim ran away and encountered a good Samaritan. That man talked to Action News but didn't want to give his name. "The girl was right here on the side of the car, crying. I said 'What's wrong?' and she said she just got raped down the street from some guy," the good Samaritan said. "She was frightened, scared. She was trembling on the side of the car. I called the cops and the cops came." The victim was able to give a clear description of the man. Police arrested a man matching the description just 30 minutes later in the 5200 block of Frankford Avenue.
The teen was taken to St. Christopher's Hospital for treatment.
Police have not released the name of the man in custody.
That good Samartian said he is glad he found the girl and did what any parent would have.
"I feel great being here at the time when someone needed my help," he said. He then talked about the attacker, saying "he deserves everything he gets."
sex assault, robbery, wissinoming, philadelphia, local/state
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death 47 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday 29 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Turnpike officials: Road plowed, salted before pileup 42 min ago
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course 34 min ago
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia 38 min ago
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police 27 min ago
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
29 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's...
47 min ago
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden
44 min ago