Jenkintown church celebrates MLK anniversary
JENKINTOWN - August 25, 2013 (WPVI) -- People packed the pews of Salem Baptist Church in Jenkintown to hear the words preached by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. at this very church nearly 50 years ago.
It's a replicated service to commemorate this week's 50th anniversary of the civil rights leader's historic March on Washington.
"We'll reenact the same music to capture the same energy to move to a higher place," said Pastor Marshall Mitchell.
Most of the members were not there for Dr. King's visit nearly five decades ago, which is why many felt it was important to attend Sunday's commemoration.
"I like how he was actually here 50 years ago. Wow, he could've been right here where I am," said Jordan Allen.
As part of the replicated service, the same church bulletin from Dr. King's visit nearly 50 years ago was handed out to church members.
"That Sunday he turned away 600 people who wanted to be here," said Pastor Mitchell.
Delphenia Bullock says she's one of the lucky ones who scored a front row seat to the action.
"It was very overwhelming, I was a teenager and got to meet him in the corridor outside and shook his hands," said Bullock.
On Sunday, for the first time, younger generations were able re-live history and hear Dr. King address their congregation.
It's a time to celebrate but many of members feel we have to keep pushing the civil rights movement forward.
"As people I think we sometimes reach a certain point and relax, thinking everything's done. I think to make our generations benefit from what forefathers did and have to work harder," said Darryl Stephens.
pennsylvania news, dr. martin luther king, jr., local/state, jennifer joyce
- Pa. Turnpike reopens after multi-vehicle crash
- Temps Soar
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish 1 min ago
- Volleyball coach accused of sex with student
- Shots fired at home in Lower Gwynedd
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly
- Car plunges into lake in Vineland, victims ID'd
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Woman's secret Santa turns out to be Bill Gates
- Temps Soar