Jenkintown church celebrates MLK anniversary
JENKINTOWN - August 25, 2013 (WPVI) -- People packed the pews of Salem Baptist Church in Jenkintown to hear the words preached by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. at this very church nearly 50 years ago.
It's a replicated service to commemorate this week's 50th anniversary of the civil rights leader's historic March on Washington.
"We'll reenact the same music to capture the same energy to move to a higher place," said Pastor Marshall Mitchell.
Most of the members were not there for Dr. King's visit nearly five decades ago, which is why many felt it was important to attend Sunday's commemoration.
"I like how he was actually here 50 years ago. Wow, he could've been right here where I am," said Jordan Allen.
As part of the replicated service, the same church bulletin from Dr. King's visit nearly 50 years ago was handed out to church members.
"That Sunday he turned away 600 people who wanted to be here," said Pastor Mitchell.
Delphenia Bullock says she's one of the lucky ones who scored a front row seat to the action.
"It was very overwhelming, I was a teenager and got to meet him in the corridor outside and shook his hands," said Bullock.
On Sunday, for the first time, younger generations were able re-live history and hear Dr. King address their congregation.
It's a time to celebrate but many of members feel we have to keep pushing the civil rights movement forward.
"As people I think we sometimes reach a certain point and relax, thinking everything's done. I think to make our generations benefit from what forefathers did and have to work harder," said Darryl Stephens.
pennsylvania news, dr. martin luther king, jr., local/state, jennifer joyce
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Clouds to sun, cool today 13 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- 12 dead in Mt. Everest avalanche
- Penn State police: 3 posed nude at Nittany shrine 45 min ago
- Vice principal commits suicide after ferry accident 13 min ago
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- Photos: Suspects in Ocean Co. child porn sweep
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- WWII vet gets anonymous surprise in Bucks Co.
- Video: Hero twins yell, hit carjacker to escape