Delaware State Trooper hurt, shoplifting suspects arrested
GLASGOW, Del. - August 26, 2013 (WPVI) -- Delaware State police say a trooper and four suspects were injured when a van fleeing from a shoplifting scene struck a police cruiser.
It happened about 7:30 p.m. Saturday at the Home Depot in Newark. Police said a van full of merchandise stolen from Home Depot left the parking lot. The van was spotted and followed on Interstate 95.
Authorities say a trooper in a marked cruiser with emergency lights activated tried to stop the van, which crashed into it.
Troopers say the van's five occupants fled; four were apprehended.
The suspects and the trooper were taken to Christiana Hospital.
Thirty-two-year-old Umar O. Johnson and 23-year-old Johnathan Holmes, both of Philadelphia, and 38-year-old Earl Volz of Birdsboro, Pa., have each been charged with shoplifting over $1,500 and other offenses.
delaware news, police, theft, local/state
- Plane's landing gear apparently collapses at PHL 1 min ago
- After a Cold Night, Temps Rebound 37 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Police: Coatesville man died before fire began
- NJ charges 4 with false Sandy aid applications
- After 6 days, Malaysian jet mystery still unsolved
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Philadelphia Zoo welcomes 2 new tiger cubs
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad