Delaware State Trooper hurt, shoplifting suspects arrested
GLASGOW, Del. - August 26, 2013 (WPVI) -- Delaware State police say a trooper and four suspects were injured when a van fleeing from a shoplifting scene struck a police cruiser.
It happened about 7:30 p.m. Saturday at the Home Depot in Newark. Police said a van full of merchandise stolen from Home Depot left the parking lot. The van was spotted and followed on Interstate 95.
Authorities say a trooper in a marked cruiser with emergency lights activated tried to stop the van, which crashed into it.
Troopers say the van's five occupants fled; four were apprehended.
The suspects and the trooper were taken to Christiana Hospital.
Thirty-two-year-old Umar O. Johnson and 23-year-old Johnathan Holmes, both of Philadelphia, and 38-year-old Earl Volz of Birdsboro, Pa., have each been charged with shoplifting over $1,500 and other offenses.
delaware news, police, theft, local/state
- School Closings & Delays
- Tracking More Snow
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Video: Downed power line in Lower Merion 26 min ago
- Video: Katherine Scott reports on icy AM conditions 57 min ago
- Video: John Rawlins reports on a slushy start 56 min ago
- Storm brings snowy, icy conditions to Pa., NJ
- 1 dead, 50+ vehicles involved in Pa. Turnpike crashes
- Casino patron abducted, robbed and shot
- Nearly 1 foot of snow in parts of Delaware
- Video: Snow-lovers sled down Art Museum steps
- Video: Time lapse of snow at the Linc
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Katherine Scott reports on icy AM conditions
57 min ago
- John Rawlins reports on a slushy start
56 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos