Delaware State Trooper hurt, shoplifting suspects arrested
GLASGOW, Del. - August 26, 2013 (WPVI) -- Delaware State police say a trooper and four suspects were injured when a van fleeing from a shoplifting scene struck a police cruiser.
It happened about 7:30 p.m. Saturday at the Home Depot in Newark. Police said a van full of merchandise stolen from Home Depot left the parking lot. The van was spotted and followed on Interstate 95.
Authorities say a trooper in a marked cruiser with emergency lights activated tried to stop the van, which crashed into it.
Troopers say the van's five occupants fled; four were apprehended.
The suspects and the trooper were taken to Christiana Hospital.
Thirty-two-year-old Umar O. Johnson and 23-year-old Johnathan Holmes, both of Philadelphia, and 38-year-old Earl Volz of Birdsboro, Pa., have each been charged with shoplifting over $1,500 and other offenses.
delaware news, police, theft, local/state
- London theater partially collapses during performance 5 min ago
- Turning Milder
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Video captures Laundromat robbery
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty
- Arsonist tries to torch atheist billboard in NJ
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings 17 min ago
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed
- Uwchlan Twp. man arrested following...
5 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos